1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Potential Question

1. Dec 25, 2008 #1

A particle in one dimension is subjected to a constant force derivable from

[tex]V = \lambda x[/tex]​

Is the energy spectrum continuous or discrete? Write down an approximate expression for the energy eigenfunction specified by [tex]E[/tex].

Solution attempt
    We have an unbound state, so we would have a continuous energy spectrum. Well, I was thinking of something along the lines of [tex]\psi(x)=e^{-f(\lambda) x} \sin (x-e^{-h(\lambda)})}[/tex] for the region [tex] x < E/\lambda[/tex] (of course, for [tex]x > E/\lambda[/tex], we need an exponentially decreasing function); I chose this function based on the following:

1. The function needs to increase exponentially as we go farther left, because the energies are greater than the linear potential by a greater degree.
    2. The zeroes need to be bunched together closer as [tex]x\rightarrow -\infty[/tex], because the particle is more energetic here.

Above, [tex]f(\lambda), g(\lambda)[/tex] are positive functions for [tex] \lambda > 0 [/tex].

Is the above correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

The energy spectrum is continuous, but your guess as to the form of the solution is wrong.

Try writing down the solution for a constant potential (in each region, V<E and V>E), and then plugging in V(x) in place of the constant V.

Also, if you've studied the WKB approximation, this is a good place to apply it. (If not, ignore this comment.)

(I'm going offline for a week, so won't reply further, good luck!)
  4. Dec 26, 2008 #3
    Oh yeah, heh, I forgot about the WKB. Thanks for the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?