Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Potential Question

1. Dec 25, 2008 #1
    Problem

A particle in one dimension is subjected to a constant force derivable from

[tex]V = \lambda x[/tex]​

Is the energy spectrum continuous or discrete? Write down an approximate expression for the energy eigenfunction specified by [tex]E[/tex].

Solution attempt
    We have an unbound state, so we would have a continuous energy spectrum. Well, I was thinking of something along the lines of [tex]\psi(x)=e^{-f(\lambda) x} \sin (x-e^{-h(\lambda)})}[/tex] for the region [tex] x < E/\lambda[/tex] (of course, for [tex]x > E/\lambda[/tex], we need an exponentially decreasing function); I chose this function based on the following:

1. The function needs to increase exponentially as we go farther left, because the energies are greater than the linear potential by a greater degree.
    2. The zeroes need to be bunched together closer as [tex]x\rightarrow -\infty[/tex], because the particle is more energetic here.

Above, [tex]f(\lambda), g(\lambda)[/tex] are positive functions for [tex] \lambda > 0 [/tex].

Is the above correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

The energy spectrum is continuous, but your guess as to the form of the solution is wrong.

Try writing down the solution for a constant potential (in each region, V<E and V>E), and then plugging in V(x) in place of the constant V.

Also, if you've studied the WKB approximation, this is a good place to apply it. (If not, ignore this comment.)

(I'm going offline for a week, so won't reply further, good luck!)

4. Dec 26, 2008 #3
    Oh yeah, heh, I forgot about the WKB. Thanks for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook