1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Pressure Voulme?

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Spring loaded piston cylinder device is filled with .5kg of water vapor at 4Mpa, T=400 degrees C. Initally the spring exerts no foce against the piston. The spring constant is .9kN/cm. The piston has a diameter of 20cm. The water now undergoes a process until its voulme is 1/2 the original voulme. find the temperature and specific enthalpy of the water.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the solution manual with me. But once i peeked at it, i was going about this completely wrong. It says that this is a linear Pressure Volume process so the equation to use is
    (P-P1)=c(V-V1).

Where c =42km/A2. where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of water vapor and A is the area.

What exactly are they talking about when they talk about a Linear Pressure Volume Process?
    What is the equation (P-P1)=c(V-V1) suppose to represent? What is that constant that they are putting there?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?