1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Programming Problem Based on Weight System

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've made my own problem here to solve. I'm wondering if it is even possible with linear programming.

Basically, I need to designate these parts to certain machines based on 3 different priorities and each of these priorities are weighted arbitrarily. (For example, Priority 1 is 60%, Priority 2 is 30%, Priority 3 is 10%). There are different size machines too, but I already know what parts will fit in what size machine. (Lets say there are 2 sizes of machines, Size 1 and Size 2). BUT there are multiple machines for each size. So, for example, there are 2 Size 1 machines and 3 Size 2 machines.

The main problem I am trying to solve here with a math model is what parts should go to what machines based on the weighted priorities. For example, all white parts should be on one of the Size 1 machines and black parts should be on the other Size 2 machines (if color was Priority 1)

2. Relevant equations

variables
    max/min statement
    contraints

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't worked with linear programming in awhile, but I remember bits and parts. I can't seem to get away from remembering the profit type problems. Is my problem capable of being solved from linear programming?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted