Linear Programming-Problem

• Thread starter love_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, to maximize profit, the LP-program should be formulated with the given variables, objective function, and constraints, taking into account the limitations of the market and the production process for products A and B.
love_physics
Hi there!
I have gott a problem with this task. My hope is that someone could help me out of this :=)
we have two products: A and B. There are three moments of processing in order to get the our products:

Number of tools avaible for each moments : 1 1 2
Time to use per day and tool: 8 8 8
Capacity per tool for product A: 500 250 250
Capacity per tool for product B: 200 500 125

The profit made from each manufactured and sold unit of product A is 2,2 $ and from product B is 4,1 $. Because of limitation of market vi can not have more than 1800 of product A and more than 1500 of product B. Number of product B shuld not be less than 20 % of total number of both products.

What shuld I do to maximize the profit?!

I need help the figure out the how to write a LP-program with the problem above.

Can anybody HELP ME with this?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot in advance!To write an LP-program to maximize the profit with the given parameters, you need to define the variables, identify the objective function, and formulate the constraints. Variables: Let x be the number of units of product A manufactured and sold Let y be the number of units of product B manufactured and sold Objective Function: Maximize 2.2x + 4.1y Constraints: x ≤ 1800 (maximum number of product A) y ≤ 1500 (maximum number of product B) y ≥ 0.2(x + y) (number of product B should not be less than 20% of total number of both products) 8x + 8y ≤ 8*1 (time constraint of the first tool) 8x + 8y ≤ 8*1 (time constraint of the second tool) 500x + 200y ≤ 500*1 (capacity constraint of the first tool for product A) 250x + 500y ≤ 250*1 (capacity constraint of the second tool for product A) 200x + 125y ≤ 125*2 (capacity constraint of the third tool for product B) Therefore, the LP-program is: Maximize 2.2x + 4.1y Subject to: x ≤ 1800 y ≤ 1500 y ≥ 0.2(x + y) 8x + 8y ≤ 8*1 8x + 8y ≤ 8*1 500x + 200y ≤ 500*1 250x + 500y ≤ 250*1 200x + 125y ≤ 125*2 x, y ≥ 0

What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical method used to optimize a linear objective function under a set of linear constraints. It is used to find the best solution to a problem with multiple variables and constraints.

What are the components of a linear programming problem?

A linear programming problem consists of an objective function, decision variables, and constraints. The objective function is the goal to be optimized, the decision variables are the unknown quantities to be determined, and the constraints are the limitations on the decision variables.

What are the types of linear programming problems?

The most common types of linear programming problems are maximization and minimization problems. In a maximization problem, the objective is to find the maximum value of the objective function, while in a minimization problem, the objective is to find the minimum value.

What is the difference between integer programming and linear programming?

Integer programming is a type of linear programming that involves additional constraints on the decision variables, requiring them to take on integer values only. This makes the problem more complex and can result in a non-linear objective function.

What are some real-world applications of linear programming?

Linear programming is used in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and management, to optimize resource allocation, production planning, transportation and logistics, financial planning, and more. It is also commonly used in operations research and decision-making processes.