Efficiently Solving Linear Programming Problems: A Better Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of resolving linear programming problems by displacing the objective function and using the simplex method. The speaker expresses their dislike for this method and asks for an alternative approach or a program for their graphic calculator. They are directed to a TI-89 users group which has a simplex program available.
PPonte
How do you resolve linear programming problems? I don't like the way my math textbook and my teacher does. I think it's a bit innacurate, if I make me understand. They do it by displacing the objective function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Displacing the objective function?
What is meant by that?
Please post an example, and what is bugging you about the solution procedure.

It's difficult to post an example since my textbook is in portuguese and I am very bad at drawing. Let's do it in another way, could you show me your way of solving this problems.

That's not how you "solve" linear programming problems- the point of "displacing the object function" is to show why the methods work.

A linear programming problem involves a linear object function that you want to maximize or minimize, such as, say, ax+ by. Typically, you are required to find a point in some convex polygon (formed by linear inequalties) that makes the object function maximum or minimum. The graph of ax+ by= M, for a given M, is a straight line with slope -a/b (solve for y: y= (-a/b)x+ M/b). The slope does not depend upon M so different values of M give different parallel lines. The point of "displacing" the line (increasing or decreasing M) is to show that eventually those lines will leave the convex polygon. The largest or smallest values of M will occur just as the line "leaves" the polygon- at a vertex of the polygon.

THAT'S how you solve a linear programming problem (in 2 variables): determine the vertices of the polygon (where the line graphs of the equations associated with the inequalities intersect) and evaluate the object function at those points.

If there are 3 variables, your graph becomes 3 dimensional and the boundaries are planes but its the same idea: solve the corresponding equations to find the vertices and evaluate the object function at those points.

If there are more than 4 variables, it becomes impossible to graph or visualize the vertices- that's when you use the simplex method which is much more complicated.

HallsofIvy thank you for your explanation, that's exactly how was taught to resolve. Nevertheless, I don't like to displace the object function, since I can just do that drawing in a paper or in the graphic calculator. The graphic calculator (mine is a TI 84) is not very precise in the determination of the point or points, that, for example, maximize the function. Do you know any programm for the calculator that could help me?

PPonte said:
HallsofIvy thank you for your explanation, that's exactly how was taught to resolve. Nevertheless, I don't like to displace the object function, since I can just do that drawing in a paper or in the graphic calculator. The graphic calculator (mine is a TI 84) is not very precise in the determination of the point or points, that, for example, maximize the function. Do you know any programm for the calculator that could help me?

Actually, you should be able to zoom in with the graphing calculator. That said, you could try googling "simplex method". I'm pretty sure that the TI 84 can be programmed to do it, but you'll end up using the matrix stuff. (You might consider writing the program as an excercise.)

NateTG said:
I'm pretty sure that the TI 84 can be programmed to do it, but you'll end up using the matrix stuff. (You might consider writing the program as an excercise.)

Sorry, but my english is terrible. Could you explain it with other words, namely the terms that I bolded?

Matrices (the plural of matrix) are a notation device that is used when dealing with a lot of linear equations or inequalities. They're freqently used in linear algebra and linear programming.

'Writing the program' means creating a list of instructions in a format that the TI-84 understands that will make it find the optimum for a particular problem.

Thank you NateTG! Good idea! It's a good motive to start using properly my calculator. I will try.

PPonte said:
Thank you NateTG! Good idea! It's a good motive to start using properly my calculator. I will try.

You might want to start with something less ambitious.

Regardless, google is your friend...

http://www.tamuk.edu/math/mathclub/

Is a TI-89 users group which has a simplex (linear programming) program.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is linear programming and why is it important?

Linear programming is a mathematical method used to optimize a system or process by finding the best solution from a set of possible solutions. It is important because it can help us make more informed decisions and improve efficiency in various fields such as business, economics, and engineering.

2. What is the traditional approach to solving linear programming problems?

The traditional approach involves manually solving a series of inequalities and equations to find the optimal solution. This can be time-consuming and prone to errors, especially for complex problems.

3. What is the better approach for solving linear programming problems?

The better approach is to use computer algorithms and software specifically designed for solving linear programming problems. This allows for faster and more accurate solutions to be found, even for complex problems with multiple variables and constraints.

4. How does the better approach improve efficiency in solving linear programming problems?

The better approach utilizes advanced algorithms and techniques to efficiently search through a large solution space and find the optimal solution. This saves time and reduces the risk of human error, leading to more efficient and effective problem-solving.

5. Can the better approach be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the better approach is widely used in various industries and fields to solve real-world problems. It has been proven to be effective in optimizing processes and making data-driven decisions. Many businesses and organizations rely on this approach to improve their operations and achieve their goals.