1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear programming

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    All-Easy manufactures three products whose unit profits are $1, $9 and $5, respectively. The company has budgeted 70 hrs. of labor time
    and 45 hours of machine time for the production of three products.
    The labor requirements per unit of products A,B C are 2, 3 and 5 hours, respectively. The corresponding machine time requirements per unit are 1, 4 and 5 hour.

All-Easy regards the budgeted labor and machine hours as goals that must be exceeded, if necessary,but at the additional cost of $15 per labor hour and $5 per machine hour. Formulate the problem as an LP model.

Doubts w/ solutions:

I let x = no. of units of product A, y = no. of units of product B, z = no. of units of product C.

Maximize: z = x + 9y + 5z (profit)
    subject to:
    2x + 3y + 5z <= 70 (labor hrs.)
    x + 4y + 5z <= 45 (machine hrs.)
    x,y,z >= 0

"All-Easy regards the budgeted labor and machine hours as goals that must be exceeded, if necessary, but at the additional cost of $15 per labor hour and $5 per machine hour." - if I were to make mathematical model out of these, am i going to adjust my objective function or my constraints or both? How?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2
    Let u = additional labor hours, and v = additional machine hours. How do they affect your profit, and how do they affect your constraint functions? Express it algebraically.

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3
    I got this idea... so at least, I can show you where am I... got stuck

We have a constraint on Labor: 2x + 3y + 5z <= 70,
    but it can be exceeded ... at extra cost.

If 2x + 3y + 5z is greater than 70, it costs an additional $15/hour.

The excess is: (2x + 3y + 5z - 70) hours which costs $15/hr.
    The extra labor cost is: 15(2x + 3y + 5z- 70) dollars,
    which, of course, reduces the profit.

Similarly, we have a constraint on Machine time: x + 4y + 5z <= 45
    which can be exceeded ... at extra cost.

The excess is (x + 4y + 5z - 45) hours which costs $5/hr.
    The extra machine cost is: 5(x + 4y + 5z - 45) dollars,
    which also reduces the profit.

is this correct? Can I relate it to what you've replied... and um, that's it, how will I re-formulate my LP model?

5. Nov 12, 2004 #4
    OK, but remember that your labor hours are no longer limited to 70.
    I would also not use "z" to represent profit, since you are already using it for product C. :)

How about:
    Maximize: P = x + 9y + 5z - 5u - 15v (profit)
    subject to:
    2x + 3y + 5z <= 70 + u (labor hrs.)
    x + 4y + 5z <= 45 + v (machine hrs.)
    x,y,z,u,v >= 0

And if the goals must be exceeded, you have actual equality:
    2x + 3y + 5z = 70 + u (labor hrs.)
    x + 4y + 5z = 45 + v (machine hrs.)
    Solving for u and v in those get you the two relationships you mention in your post.

6. Nov 12, 2004 #5
    Um... I did understand about it.... but if I were to write the final part as my model for the LP, it seems that it is "unstable"... bec. I am following the standard form of a LP model...

7. Nov 12, 2004 #6
    The final part? you mean the two equalities?

8. Nov 13, 2004 #7
    yes.. bec. I don't feel that my model is a formal one yet... =)

9. Nov 13, 2004 #8
    The equalities are the bounding surfaces, and the solution is found on the surface--the vertices, in fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?