1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear question

1. Dec 15, 2003 #1
    I am trying to show that a matrix A and A^t have the same eigenvalues. Well im sure its because det(a) = det(A^t), the characteristic polynomial is det(A-xI). But this question im trying to solve also asks for an example of a 2x2 matrix A where A and A^t have different eigenvectors. Im kinda lost of this one. Wouldn't they have the same eigenvectors because they have the same eigenvalues?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2003 #2
    no. consider the eivenvalue equation:

[tex]A\mathbf{v}=\lambda\mathbf{v}[/tex]
    then take the transpose of that equation:

[tex]\mathbf{v}^TA^T=\lambda\mathbf{v}^T[/tex]

so the eigenvector of A becomes something you might call a "left eigenvector" of A^T, but there is no reason to think that it should also be a regular eigenvector.

the eigenvalues must be the same, however, for the reason you stated.

i imagine, that to find an example of a matrix whose transpose has different eigenvectors, you should just grab any old generic nonsymmetric matrix, it will probably do.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  4. Dec 16, 2003 #3
    thanks lethe,

I feel kinda stupid that i overlooked that equation. Its really fundemental stuff[b(]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?