1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear regression and maximum likelihood estimates

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that data (x1,y1),(x2,y2),.?.,(xn,yn) is modelled with xi being non random and Yi being observed values of random variables Y1,Y2,...Yn which are given by
    Yi = a + b(xi-xbar) + σεi
    Where a, b, σ are unknown parameters and εi are independent random variables each having the Gaussian distribution with mean 0 variance 1. xbar = 1/n * Ʃxi

Find the maximum likelihood estimate of a, b and σ

2. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly I know I need to find the joint distribution of the random variables Yi
    Yi is a linear combination of Gaussian random variables so Yi has a normal distribution too
    E[Yi] = E[a + b(xi-xbar) + σεi] = a + b(xi-xbar)
    Var[Yi] = var [a + b(xi-xbar) + σεi] = var[σεi] = σ2
    All Yi's are mutually independent so the joint distribution of all the Yi's is just the product of n normally distributed random variables with means and variances as shown above.

So now we want MLE of a so we take logs of the joint distribution and differentiate wrt to a and set this equal to zero, we then rearrange to get the a= xbar is the MLE for a. Is this correct, if so I can go on to do the rest, if not why not?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?