Finding Y1 on the TI-83 Plus Calculator for Linear Regression

In summary, when working on linear regressions on a TI-83 plus calculator, you may be prompted to input Y1. However, there is no specific key for Y1, you can simply enter a number. This is used to enter a series of points (xi, yi) and the calculator will provide the "closest" line using least squares.
majormuss

Homework Statement

Where can I find Y(subscript: 1) on the TI-83 plus calculator? I was working on Linear Regressions in the book and I came across a question that requires me to input Y1 on the screen but I can't find the 'y'.. how can I find it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are being prompted to input a value which the calculator will assign to "Y1". There is no "Y1" key, just enter a number. Basically, with linear regression, you are entering a series of points, (xi, yi), and the calculator responds with the "closest" line in the sense of least squares.

1. How do I enter data on the TI-83 Plus calculator for linear regression?

To enter data on the TI-83 Plus calculator, press the "STAT" button and then select "1: Edit" to access the data editor. Use the arrow keys to move between columns and rows, and use the "ENTER" key to enter data. Make sure to enter the same number of data points for both the x and y values.

2. How do I find Y1 on the TI-83 Plus calculator for linear regression?

To find Y1, press the "STAT" button and then select "CALC" to access the calculator menu. Scroll down to "4: LinReg(ax+b)" and press "ENTER". The calculator will prompt you for the list of x values, followed by the list of y values. Once both lists are entered, press "ENTER" again to see the linear regression equation, with Y1 being the dependent variable.

3. Can I use the TI-83 Plus calculator for non-linear regression?

Yes, the TI-83 Plus calculator can perform non-linear regression. Instead of selecting "4: LinReg(ax+b)" in the calculator menu, choose "0: ZoomStat" and then select "9: ExpReg" or "0: ZoomStat" and then select "8: LogReg". These options will allow you to perform exponential or logarithmic regression, respectively.

4. How can I view the regression line on the TI-83 Plus calculator?

To view the regression line on the TI-83 Plus calculator, press the "STAT PLOT" button and then select "1: Plot1". Make sure the "On" option is selected and then use the arrow keys to highlight "Type" and select "1: Scatter". Press "ZOOM" and then select "9: ZoomStat" to view the scatter plot with the regression line.

5. Can I use the TI-83 Plus calculator for multiple linear regression?

Yes, the TI-83 Plus calculator can perform multiple linear regression. Instead of selecting "4: LinReg(ax+b)" in the calculator menu, choose "0: ZoomStat" and then select "7: LinReg(a+bx+cx²+...)" to enter multiple independent variables. The calculator will prompt you to enter the lists of x values for each independent variable, followed by the list of y values. Press "ENTER" to see the multiple linear regression equation, with Y1 being the dependent variable.