How does a solenoid valve operate and what factors affect its behavior?

In summary, a solenoid valve uses a solenoid to move a soft iron core and open/close an orifice to control fluid flow. The core becomes magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field, which can cause it to move due to the non-uniformity of the field. This does not violate the law that magnetic fields can do no work. There is currently no analytical model for the behavior of the valve as the coil degrades, but equivalent circuit models exist.
CopyOfA
Briefly, a solenoid valve utilizes a solenoid to move a soft iron core in such a way as to open/close an orifice to allow/inhibit flow of a fluid. I am a bit rusty on my E&M and I have a couple questions about this operation.

1) When a magnetic field is created using the solenoid, the soft iron core becomes magnetized, producing a north and south pole on the core, and essentially becoming a bar magnet. How does this core behave in the presence of the magnetic field? Since the solenoid will, in general, be short, the magnetic field is non-uniform inside the solenoid, so does that mean the magnetic field causes the core to move? Doesn't this violate the law that magnetic fields can do no work? If the magnetic field does not cause the core to move, why does the core move?

2) I looked around a bit, but I have not seen any literature showing an analytical model for the behavior of the valve as the coil (insulation and wire) degrades. I've seen equivalent circuit models, but not a more specific model. If anyone has leads on something of this nature, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
CopyOfA said:
oesn't this violate the law that magnetic fields can do no work?
No. If that was true, there could not be electric motors. You are confusing conservative forces with no work.

1. What is a linear solenoid valve?

A linear solenoid valve is an electromechanical device that uses an electromagnetic coil to control the flow of fluid or gas. It consists of a coil, a plunger, and a valve seat. When an electrical current is applied to the coil, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the plunger towards the valve seat, allowing fluid or gas to flow through the valve.

2. How does a linear solenoid valve work?

When an electrical current is applied to the coil of a linear solenoid valve, it creates a magnetic field that attracts the plunger towards the valve seat. This opens the valve and allows fluid or gas to flow through. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field dissipates and the plunger returns to its original position, closing the valve and stopping the flow of fluid or gas.

3. What are the main applications of linear solenoid valves?

Linear solenoid valves are commonly used in a variety of industries, including automotive, manufacturing, and medical. They are often used to control the flow of fluids in pneumatic and hydraulic systems, as well as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems.

4. What are the advantages of using a linear solenoid valve?

Linear solenoid valves offer several advantages, including fast response times, high flow rates, and low power consumption. They also have a long lifespan and are relatively easy to install and maintain. Additionally, they can be controlled remotely and can be integrated into automated systems.

5. How do I choose the right linear solenoid valve for my application?

When choosing a linear solenoid valve, you should consider factors such as the type of fluid or gas being controlled, the required flow rate, and the operating pressure and temperature. It is also important to select a valve with the appropriate voltage and current rating for your specific application. Consulting with a trusted supplier or doing research on different valve options can help you make an informed decision.