1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Span Subsets

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    This question asks me to prove a statement regarding linear spans. I have devised a proof but I am not sure if it is substantial enough to prove the statement.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let L(S) be the subspace spanned by a subset S of a linear space V. Prove that if S is a subset of T and T is a subset of V and if T is a subspace of V, then L(S) is a subspace of T. (This property is described by saying that L(S) is the smallest subspace of V which contains S).

2. Relevant equations
    In part (a) of the question I proved that for S={u1, ..., un}, S is always a subset of L(S).

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the definition of the span of S, we know that L(S) is the smallest subspace of V that contains S. Therefore, for any T that is a subset of V such that S is a subset of T, it is clear from the definition of span that L(S) is a subset of T.
    Is this proof substantial enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Because you don't use the fact that T is a subspace.
    You can use the fact that L(S) is the smallest subspace containing S or consider L(T).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted