Linear Spring System - Equations of Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a system of equations for a 2-node spring system. The equations involve representing displacements in terms of force and stiffness, and using the equilibrium condition to simplify them into a matrix equation. There may be different conventions for representing the equations, but ultimately they should give the same magnitude of answers.
KleptoBear
This is not exactly a HW problem but a worked out problem that I am trying to understand. Below pictures are from Hutton's "Fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis"

Homework Statement

Derivation of system of equations for given figure.
Diagram.jpg

Homework Equations

eqtns.jpg
3. What confuses me

From the equilibrium condition [itex]f_1+f_2=0[/itex] I could have easily written [itex]f_2=-f_1[/itex] instead. This changes the signs of the diagonals. Yet, when I do this and solve a numerical example that is later done in the book on this same system, I get (expectedly!) same answers in magnitude but opposite in sign. Many books introduce FEM with similar examples and the five or six books that I have checked have the stiffness matrix exactly like above. Some do express the equilibrium condition as [itex]f_2=-f_1[/itex] but then write [itex]\delta=u_1-u_2[/itex] instead.
Is there a general convention that I am missing? I guess this may be a case of staring-at-what-you're-looking-for-but-not-seeing. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. A:These types of problems can be tricky to reason through, so I would suggest that you think through the problem conceptually first and then draw out the equations. In this case, we are trying to develop the equations of motion for a 2-node spring system where the displacement of each node is given by $u_1$ and $u_2$. We can represent the displacements of each node in terms of force and stiffness as follows:$$f_1 - k(u_1-u_2) = 0 \\f_2 + k(u_1-u_2) = 0$$where $f_1$ and $f_2$ are the forces applied to the nodes, and $k$ is the stiffness of the spring connecting the nodes. Now, from the equilibrium condition we have that $f_1 + f_2 = 0$, which means that we can write the above equations as $$f_1 - ku_1 + ku_2 = 0 \\-f_1 - ku_1 + ku_2 = 0$$which gives us the following matrix equation:$$\begin{bmatrix}-k & k \\-k & k\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}f_1 \\ -f_1\end{bmatrix}$$

1. What is a Linear Spring System?

A Linear Spring System is a mathematical model used to represent the behavior of a spring under the application of a force. It assumes that the relationship between the force applied and the resulting displacement of the spring is linear.

2. What is FEM in the context of a Linear Spring System?

FEM stands for Finite Element Method, which is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering problems. In the context of a Linear Spring System, FEM is used to discretize the system and solve for the displacement and stress values at different points along the spring.

3. What are the advantages of using FEM for a Linear Spring System?

Using FEM for a Linear Spring System allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of the system. It can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, and can also account for material nonlinearity and contact between multiple springs.

4. What are some common applications of Linear Spring Systems?

Linear Spring Systems have a wide range of applications in engineering and science. They are commonly used to model the behavior of springs in mechanical systems, such as suspension systems in vehicles or springs in buildings. They are also used in biomedical engineering to study the behavior of tissues and in geology to model the movement of tectonic plates.

5. How can I learn more about Linear Spring Systems and FEM?

There are many resources available to learn more about Linear Spring Systems and FEM. You can start by reading textbooks on finite element analysis or taking online courses on the subject. There are also various software programs available that allow you to build and analyze linear spring systems using FEM, which can help you gain practical experience.