1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Spring System - FEM

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    This is not exactly a HW problem but a worked out problem that I am trying to understand. Below pictures are from Hutton's "Fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derivation of system of equations for given figure.
    Diagram.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    eqtns.jpg

3. What confuses me

From the equilibrium condition [itex]f_1+f_2=0[/itex] I could have easily written [itex]f_2=-f_1[/itex] instead. This changes the signs of the diagonals. Yet, when I do this and solve a numerical example that is later done in the book on this same system, I get (expectedly!) same answers in magnitude but opposite in sign. Many books introduce FEM with similar examples and the five or six books that I have checked have the stiffness matrix exactly like above. Some do express the equilibrium condition as [itex]f_2=-f_1[/itex] but then write [itex]\delta=u_1-u_2[/itex] instead.
    Is there a general convention that I am missing? I guess this may be a case of staring-at-what-you're-looking-for-but-not-seeing. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?