Linear superposition of single-particle states

1. Dear all,

I am not sure whether I understand correctly or not.
    So from Peskin Schroeder’s book:
    \int{\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_p}e^{-ipx}|p>
    formula (2.41). Interpreting this formula they say – it’s a linear superposition of single-particle states that have well defined momentum. And also that operator phi(x) acting on the vacuum, creates a particle at position x.
    My question – since it is a superposition of single-particle states and creates a particle at position X, So that operator creates many single-particle states with different momentum (since there is integration over p and each single-particle state has different momentum) and all of them (particles with different momentum ) are created at one position X?
    Or briefly – many different momentum particles are created at one position X?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. vanesch

vanesch 6,189
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the superposition of a one-particle and a one-particle state ? A two-particle state or another one-particle state ? Answer: another one-particle state. Superpositions of N-particle states are again N-particle states.
    So you should view this as ONE particle is created, in a superposition of momentum states, exactly as in NR quantum mechanics, where ONE position state is written as (about the same) superposition of several momentum states.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?