1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear surjection proof

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let gif.gif be linear surjection. Prove that then n>=m.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition(surjection):
    gif.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    Lets assume opposite, n<=m. If that is the case, then for some y from R^m, there is no belonging x from R^n, what is in contradiction with definition where its said for every y.

Is this ok? If no, why?

Thanks! Domagoj

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The opposite would be n < m.
    Why is there no x in Rn for that y in Rm? You need to do more than just say the words.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    Ok.

Can one x map to more then one y?

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

Mark44

A is a linear transformation. Can A(x) map to y1 and y2, where y1 ≠ y2

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    No.
    Edit; That is actually what I've been trying to say in first post.

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a good proof strategy, or at least it will be when you replace "n<=m" with "n<m". But you have to explain how you know that what you're saying in the second sentence is true.

By definition of "map", no. Note that this has nothing to do with surjectivity or even injectivity. It's just the definition of "map" (="function").

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7
    @Fredrik
    Ok.
    Lets assume the opposite, n<m. I know from definition of surjection that for every y there has to be x such as f(x)=y.
    But since n<m, there exists some element y that wont be mapped. Which is contradiction and not surjective.

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8

Mark44

Again (as in my post #2) why? Why does it follow that if n < m, then some x element won't be paired with that y?

10. Apr 19, 2015 #9
    I would say it like this;
    If n <m that means that dimension of domain is lower then dimension of codomain. But definition of surjection , Image of (domain) = codomain.
    but dim (domain) = n < dim(codomain)=m, -> contradiction

11. Apr 20, 2015 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's true that the statements ##n<m## and ##A(\mathbb R^n)=\mathbb R^m## can't both be true, but you can't just say this. You have to prove it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted