Linear system of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the general solution for the system of equations x = 3 - 4p + q and x = 3 - 4y + z, as well as a possible solution for two linear equations whose intersection would be a plane. The suggested equations for the latter are 2x+8y-2z = 6 and 5x+20y - 5z = 15.
songoku
Homework Statement
1. Find a linear equation in the variables x, y and z that has a general solution:
x = 3 - 4p + q
y = p
z = q
where p and q are arbitrary parameters

2. Express a general solution for the equation in part (1) in two other different ways

3. Write down a linear system of two different non zero linear equations such that the system has the same general solution as in part (1)
Relevant Equations
Not sure
1)
x = 3 - 4p + q
x = 3 - 4y + z
x + 4y - z = 3

2) x + 4y - z = 3
(i) let x = a and y = b, so z = a + 4b - 3
General solution:
x = a
y = b
z = a+ 4b - 3

(ii) let x = r and z = t, so y = (3 - r + t) / 4
General solution:
x = r
y = (3 - r + t) / 4
z = t3) I don't understand this part. Is the answer the same as part (1)? Can I just take random equations like x +2y = 1 and 2y - z = 2? Is this the form asked by the questions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange question. I don't think your two equations in (3) will do it. You have two planes that aren't parallel and their intersection would be a line, not a plane. He is asking for two linear equations (planes) whose intersection would be a plane. Seems to me they have to be the same plane. Maybe ##2x+8y-2z = 6,~5x+20y - 5z = 15##? Seems pretty silly to me.

Likes songoku
LCKurtz said:
Strange question. I don't think your two equations in (3) will do it. You have two planes that aren't parallel and their intersection would be a line, not a plane. He is asking for two linear equations (planes) whose intersection would be a plane. Seems to me they have to be the same plane. Maybe ##2x+8y-2z = 6,~5x+20y - 5z = 15##? Seems pretty silly to me.

Not sure, maybe that is the answer. Thank you very much

1. What is a linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. These equations are called linear because they can be graphed as straight lines and have a constant rate of change.

2. How do you solve a linear system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a linear system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most common method is substitution, where one variable is isolated in one equation and then substituted into the other equation to solve for the remaining variable.

3. Can a linear system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear system of equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. A system with one solution means that the two equations intersect at one point, while a system with infinite solutions means that the two equations are essentially the same line. A system with no solution means that the two lines are parallel and do not intersect.

4. What is the importance of solving a linear system of equations?

Solving a linear system of equations allows us to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations. This is useful in many real-life situations, such as finding the intersection of two lines or determining the break-even point in a business.

5. Can a linear system of equations be represented in a matrix form?

Yes, a linear system of equations can be represented in a matrix form. This is called an augmented matrix, where the coefficients of the variables in each equation are placed in a matrix and the constants are placed in a separate column. This matrix can then be manipulated using matrix operations to solve the system.