How can I find linear functions that will tend to equilibrium in a given system?

In summary, the conversation is about finding two linear functions, f(r) and h(r), for a given system of equations with constants A and B. The goal is to find functions that will tend to equilibrium and satisfy a specific condition. The solution involves using the general form of linear functions and separating the variables. The system can be solved easily and will be stable as long as certain conditions are met.
Mynock
Hey, I'm trying to find two linear functions, f(r) and h(r) for the following system:

dp/dt = A*f(r)

dr/dt = -B*h(r)

where A and B are constants greater than zero. I'm trying to find linear functions that will tend to equillibrium, and also where

limit df(r)/dt = 0
r->0

I have been trying various linear functions and have been unable to come up with a solution. Is there a solution? and if so, what would be one? It's probalby something simple that I'm overlooking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The linear (homogeneous) functions in one variable, 'r' in this case, have the general form:

[tex]f(r) \ = \ \alpha\cdot r,\quad g(r) \ = \ \beta\cdot r, \qquad \alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]

So this system can be trivially solved, since the variables are separated. On one hand, you have:

[tex]\dot{r}\ = \ -B\beta\, r[/tex]

so

[tex]r(t) \ = \ r_0e^{-B\beta t}[/tex]

The condition for stability is obviously [tex]\beta > 0[/tex].

On the other hand:

[tex]\dot{p}\quad = \quad A\alpha\, r \quad = \quad A\alpha r_0 e^{-B\beta t}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]p(t) \quad = \quad \gamma \ - \ \frac{A\alpha r_0}{B\beta} e^{-B\beta t}[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is an integration constant. This means that, as long as [tex]\beta > 0[/tex], your system will be stable, with equilibrium point [tex]p = \gamma, r = 0[/tex].

Hi there,

Finding linear functions that will tend to equilibrium in this system is definitely possible. Let's start by looking at the first equation:

dp/dt = A*f(r)

To find a linear function that will tend to equilibrium, we need to find a function f(r) that will make the derivative of p, dp/dt, equal to 0. This means that the slope of the function must be 0 at all points, which will result in a horizontal line. Since we want the function to tend to equilibrium, this horizontal line must also intersect with the y-axis at the equilibrium point.

One way to achieve this is to have f(r) be a constant function that is equal to the equilibrium point. So our first linear function could be:

f(r) = c, where c is the equilibrium point.

Now let's look at the second equation:

dr/dt = -B*h(r)

Similarly, to find a linear function that will tend to equilibrium, we need to find a function h(r) that will make the derivative of r, dr/dt, equal to 0. Again, this means that the slope of the function must be 0 at all points, resulting in a horizontal line that intersects with the y-axis at the equilibrium point.

Following the same logic as before, we can have h(r) be a constant function equal to the equilibrium point. So our second linear function could be:

h(r) = c, where c is the equilibrium point.

Now, to satisfy the condition of the limit of df(r)/dt = 0 as r approaches 0, we can choose any value for c as long as it is a positive constant. This will ensure that the slope of both functions is 0 at all points, including at r = 0.

So to summarize, our two linear functions for this system would be:

f(r) = c, where c is the equilibrium point

h(r) = c, where c is a positive constant

I hope this helps and makes sense. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

What is a linear system equilibrium?

Linear system equilibrium refers to a state in which all of the variables in a linear system are stable and do not change over time. In other words, it is a point where the system is in balance and there is no net force acting on it.

How is linear system equilibrium determined?

Linear system equilibrium is determined by finding the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

What is the significance of linear system equilibrium?

Linear system equilibrium is important because it represents a stable state in which the system is at rest and there is no change over time. This is useful in analyzing systems such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

Can a linear system have multiple equilibria?

Yes, a linear system can have multiple equilibria. This occurs when there are multiple sets of values that satisfy all of the equations in the system. Each equilibrium represents a different stable state of the system.

How does perturbation affect linear system equilibrium?

Perturbation, or a small disturbance to the system, can cause the system to move away from the equilibrium point. However, if the system is stable, it will eventually return to the equilibrium point. This is known as stability around an equilibrium point.