Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear systems question

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I have a system of linear DE 's as under.

[tex]\dot{x}_1(t)=-tx_1+x_2[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{x}_2(t)=-tx_2+x_1[/tex]

Now how do we find the solution

[tex]x(t)^{T}=[x_1, x_2][/tex]

I tried to find a similar post but could not. Any help would be highly appreciated. I am in the midst of writing a code wherein I need to solve this system of linear DE's.

Thanks in advance.

Gaganaut.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can think of about a dozen different ways to do that problem. Unfortunately, since you have not shown how you would attempt such a probem, I have no idea which of them is appropriate for you. Do you see my dilemma?

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    The most straightforward way seems to be that you could subtract the first from the second to obtain one (separable) equation for their difference.

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4
    Linear differential equations: Solution so far

First of all thanks for getting back. So far I have brought the system in a matrix form as under.

[tex]\[ \left[ \begin{array}{c}
    \dot{x}_1\\
    \dot{x}_2 \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    -t & 1\\
    1 & -t \end{array} \right] \[ \left[ \begin{array}{c}
    x_1\\
    x_2 \end{array} \right]\]
    [/tex]

I am a bit skeptical about the further steps that I did and that's when I decided to get help on this. I have written a formula for integrating the system as under.

[tex]\underline{x}(t) = exp\left(\int_{t_0}^t A(\tau)\,d\tau \right)\underline{x}_0(t)[/tex]

where [tex]A(\tau)=\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    -\tau & 1\\
    1 & -\tau \end{array} \right][/tex]

I cannot get any further. I definitely want to take the matrix approach as it is easier to code in for me. Also, I might be wrong with the integral method, so I would appreciate a better method preserving the matrix and vector form.

Thank you.

Gaganaut

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?