1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear systems question

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I have a system of linear DE 's as under.

[tex]\dot{x}_1(t)=-tx_1+x_2[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{x}_2(t)=-tx_2+x_1[/tex]

Now how do we find the solution

[tex]x(t)^{T}=[x_1, x_2][/tex]

I tried to find a similar post but could not. Any help would be highly appreciated. I am in the midst of writing a code wherein I need to solve this system of linear DE's.

Thanks in advance.

Gaganaut.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can think of about a dozen different ways to do that problem. Unfortunately, since you have not shown how you would attempt such a probem, I have no idea which of them is appropriate for you. Do you see my dilemma?

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    The most straightforward way seems to be that you could subtract the first from the second to obtain one (separable) equation for their difference.

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4
    Linear differential equations: Solution so far

First of all thanks for getting back. So far I have brought the system in a matrix form as under.

[tex]\[ \left[ \begin{array}{c}
    \dot{x}_1\\
    \dot{x}_2 \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    -t & 1\\
    1 & -t \end{array} \right] \[ \left[ \begin{array}{c}
    x_1\\
    x_2 \end{array} \right]\]
    [/tex]

I am a bit skeptical about the further steps that I did and that's when I decided to get help on this. I have written a formula for integrating the system as under.

[tex]\underline{x}(t) = exp\left(\int_{t_0}^t A(\tau)\,d\tau \right)\underline{x}_0(t)[/tex]

where [tex]A(\tau)=\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    -\tau & 1\\
    1 & -\tau \end{array} \right][/tex]

I cannot get any further. I definitely want to take the matrix approach as it is easier to code in for me. Also, I might be wrong with the integral method, so I would appreciate a better method preserving the matrix and vector form.

Thank you.

Gaganaut

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?