Linear Transformation Matrix for Rotations about y-axis

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to derive the matrix for a linear transformation that rotates a point (x,y,z) counterclockwise about the y-axis through an angle (X). The book provides a matrix [A] for the y-axis move and a formula for a unit vector, and the goal is to connect these two in order to derive the transformation matrix. The formula can be written as a matrix vector (cos(V) cos(W) cos(Y))^T and the conversation includes discussion on how to use the matrix for this type of transformation.
robierob12
Derive the matrix for the transformation that rotates a point (x,y,z) counterclockwise about the y-axis through an angle (X).

My book gives me a matrice for the y-axis move.

(cosX 0 sinX)
(0 1 0 )
(-sinX 0 cosX)

call the above matrix [A]

Im also given this formula for a unit vector

cos(V)i + cos(W)j + cos(Y)k

The way that I see the question, is that I need to somehow derive matix [A]
from the given unit vector formula.

I just don't see exactly how they are connected here.

I really DON'T want the solution for this, just some insight maby on the connection between the formula and the matrix.

I know that if I have a vector u and an angle (X) I can just multiply
Au to get the rotated vector. So I do know how to use the matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula can be written as a matrix vector (cos(V) cos(W) cos(Y))^T.

You are really looking for the linear transformation matrix such that L(x,y,z) rotates the standard basis for lR^3 by an angle X.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the linear structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while maintaining the same properties of the original vector space.

2. What is a rotation in linear transformation?

A rotation in linear transformation is a type of transformation that preserves the length and orientation of a vector, but changes its direction in a circular motion around a fixed point. It can be described by an angle and a center of rotation.

3. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented in various ways, depending on the context. In general, it can be represented by a matrix, a set of equations, or a geometric figure. The specific representation used will depend on the purpose and application of the transformation.

4. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation is one that follows the rules of linearity, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. This results in a straight line when graphed. On the other hand, a non-linear transformation does not follow these rules and may result in a curved or non-linear graph.

5. How are rotations and translations related in linear transformation?

Rotations and translations are both types of linear transformations, but they differ in the way they affect the input vector. A rotation changes the direction of the vector, while a translation shifts the vector in a specific direction without changing its direction. However, both transformations can be combined to create more complex transformations.