What is the Algebraic Proof of Linear Transformation Composition with Addition?

In summary, the statement given is trying to prove that if A, B, and C are linear transformations in a vector space V over the field F, then the composition of A with the sum of B and C is equal to the sum of the compositions of A with B and A with C. This can be shown using matrix notation and algebraic manipulation.
autre

Homework Statement

Prove:

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a vector space over the field [itex]F[/itex] . If [itex]A,B,C\in L(V)[/itex] , then [itex]A\circ(B+C)=A\circ B+A\circ C[/itex] .

The Attempt at a Solution

Note that [itex]A\circ B\in L(V)[/itex] means [itex]A\circ B(\mathbf{v})=A(B(\mathbf{v}))[/itex]. Suppose [itex](\alpha_{jk})_{j,k=1}^{n}[/itex] and [itex](\beta_{jk})_{j,k=1}^{n}[/itex] are matrices of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] and [itex](\gamma_{jk})_{j,k=1}^{n}[/itex] is a matrix of [itex]C[/itex] . Then, [itex]B+C=(\beta_{jk}+\gamma_{jk})_{j,k=1}^{n}[/itex] and [itex]A\circ(B+C)=A((B+C))=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\alpha_{ji}(\beta_{ik}+\gamma_{ik})[/itex]...

I'm a little stuck at this point. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
you just need to continue the algebra a little further...

[tex]\sum_i \alpha_{ji}(\beta_{ik} + \gamma_{ik}) = \left(\sum_i\alpha_{ji}\beta_{ik}\right) + \left(\sum_i\alpha_{ji}\gamma_{ik}\right) = \dots[/tex]

1. What is a linear transformation in algebra?

A linear transformation in algebra is a function that maps a vector space to another vector space while preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a way to transform one set of numbers or variables into another set while maintaining certain properties.

2. What are the properties of linear transformations?

The properties of linear transformations include preserving addition and scalar multiplication, preserving the zero vector, and preserving linear combinations. Additionally, a linear transformation must have a unique output for every input and must map the origin to the origin.

3. How is a linear transformation represented algebraically?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers. The columns of the matrix represent the outputs for each input element, and the rows represent the coefficients of the input elements in the linear combination. Another way to represent a linear transformation is through a system of linear equations.

4. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication, while a nonlinear transformation does not. This means that a nonlinear transformation will not produce a straight line graph when plotted, unlike a linear transformation.

5. How are linear transformations used in real-world applications?

Linear transformations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model systems, analyze data, and generate computer-generated images. For example, in computer graphics, linear transformations are used to rotate, scale, and translate objects on a screen.