1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation proof

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    Let f: R --> R and let T: P2 --> F, and T(p) = p(f). Prove that T is a linear transformation.

P2 is the set of polynomials of degree 2 or less, and F is the set of all functions.

It seems to me that I can treat f as really just a real number, in which case it's no different from proving T(p) = p(x) for all x in R. Is it this simple?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can treat f similarly to a real number, because you can add and multiply real-valued functions, but you can't treat it as a real number.

Secondly, you're not trying to prove T(p) = p(f): that's the definition of T. You're trying to prove that T is a linear transformation from P2 to F.

Finally, F is is not just a set, it's a vector space.
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    To prove that T(p) is a linear transformation, you must show that it has the properties of a linear transformation, that is:
    (a) T(a+b)=T(a)+T(b) for a,b in P2
    (b) T(ca)=cT(a) for a in P2 and c in R
  5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    So let p1 and p2 be elements of P2
    Then T(p1 + p2) = (p1 + p2)(f) = p1(f) + p2(f) = T(p1) + T(p2)
    and T(cp1) = cp1(f) = cT(p1)

Is this sufficient to show that T is a linear transformation or am I leaving something out?
  6. Dec 5, 2004 #5
    That looks right. Good job!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?