1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation

1. May 29, 2010 #1

I am trying to find an orthogonal transformation that maps the point (0,5) to the point (3,4).
    Now, I found that the transformation matrix M for a reflection in the line y=mx is as follows:

[tex] M = \left(
    cos(2\theta) & sin(2\theta)\\
    sin(2\theta) & -cos(2\theta)

[tex] \therefore \left(
    cos(2\theta) & sin(2\theta)\\
    sin(2\theta) & -cos(2\theta)
    \begin{array}{c} 0 \\
    5 \\
    \begin{array}{c} 3 \\

However this means that
    [tex] 5sin(2\theta)=3 [/tex]
    [tex] -5cos(2\theta)=4 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{5sin2\theta}{-5cos2\theta} = 3/4 [/tex]
    [tex] \theta = arctan(-\frac{3}{4}) [/tex]
    [tex]\therefore m=\frac{3}{4}

I noticed that if instead I find the angle by taking [tex] 5sin(2\theta)=3 [/tex]
    [tex] \theta = 18.43 and tan(\theta)=0.333 [/tex]
    Or [tex] -5cos(2\theta)=4 [/tex]
    [tex] \theta = 71.56 [/tex] and [tex] tan(71.56)=3[/tex]

Why don't they all yield the same result? isn't this like solving a system of linear equations?

Having said this, I tried to derive the matrix of the transformation myself. I drew the basis vectors i(1,0) and j(0,1) and checked what their new coordinates would be when reflected in a line that makes an angle [tex] \theta [/tex] with the x-axis.

When considering the j(0,1) vector, the angle between j and j' & that between i and i' is [tex] 2\theta [/tex].

The new coordinates for i' would be:
    [tex] x = cos(2\theta)
    y = sin(2\theta) [/tex]

and those for j' would be:

[tex] x = sin(2\theta)
    y = cos(2\theta).

Why would you say that for j' [tex] y=-cos(2\theta)? [/tex]
    The only way j' will have negative y coordinates is if the gradient of the line is >45, and if this happens, cos(2x) will be negative (since 90 < 2x < 180, cos(2x) is negative).

Sorry for the very long post, I just wanted to show what I tried before asking any questions. With this being said, could someone please tell me what's wrong with the derivation I attempted? And most of all, why the first one doesn't work?

Thank you!
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

NO, this is 2[itex]\theta[/itex]

[itex]2\theta= 36.86[/itex] and [itex]tan(36.86)= 0.75[/itex]

NO, cos(71.56)= 0.3163, nowhere near -.8. I don't know how you got this. If [itex]cos(\theta)= -.8[/itex] then [itex]\theta= 143[/itex] or [itex]\theta= -37[/itex]. tan(143)= -.75 but tan(-37)= .75.

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    The gradient of the line is [tex] tan(\theta) [/itex] not [tex] tan(2\theta) [/itex], or am I wrong?

[tex]2\theta [/itex] is the angle with which the vectors i and j will be rotated when they're reflected in the line [tex] y=(tan\theta)x [/itex].
  5. May 29, 2010 #4
    Ok fair enough, I meant [tex] tan(2\theta) = -\frac{3}{4} [/itex]
    [tex] \therefore \theta = \frac{arctan(-\frac{3}{4})}{2} [/itex].

[tex] -5cos(2\theta)=4 [/itex]
    then [tex] cos(2\theta) = -4/5 = -0.8 [/itex]
    therefore [tex] \theta = \frac{arccos(-0.8)}{2} = 71.56 [/itex]
    and hence [tex] cos(2 * 71.56) = -0.8 [/itex]
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook