Linear transformations and rotations

This is a rotation of pi/4 around the z-axis, so the transformation matrix will have the coefficients of the x' and y' equations in the first two rows, and (0 0 1) in the third row.In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the matrix that defines a linear transformation and rotation of pi/4 around the z-axis in the standard basis of R3. It is determined that the transformation matrix will have the coefficients of the x' and y' equations in the first two rows, and (0 0 1) in the third row. The conversation also clarifies that a rotation is a linear transformation that only changes the direction, not the magnitude, of a vector.
phy
Linear transformations and rotations...

Hi everyone. I need some help getting started on this question.

Let R: R3 ---> R3 be a rotation of pi/4 around the axix in R3. Find the matrix [R]E that defines the linear transformation R in the standard basis E={e1, e2, e3} of R3. Find R(1,2,1)

The problem I'm having is just I don't know how to handle the question since I'm not given an equation for R nor am I given some sort of vector to start with. Or am I supposed to put vectors e1, e2, and e3 as the colums of a matrix and do something like that? I'm confused so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since R3 is most likely the z-axis, the rotation is in the x-y plane. Think about the rotation of a vector in that plane, the rows of the transformation matrix would correspond to the coefficients of the transformation [tex] \vec{R}' = A \vec{R} [/tex]. A hint, the 3rd row of the matrix will be (0 0 1).

Hmmmmm, I'm not quite sure I understand. Would the first row be (0 0 1) and the second (0 1 0)?

Ooops I meant (1 0 0) and (0 1 0)

No, you are rotating about the z-axis, [tex] x' = x \cos(\pi/4) + y \sin(\pi/4) and y' = -x \sin(\pi/4) + y \sin(\pi/4) [/tex] check my signs, but I think thay may be correct. the 3rd row is as above. The initial vector is (1,2,1).

A rotation is a linear transformation that doesn't change the length of any vector. This means that

[tex]x^tx=(Rx)^t(Rx)[/tex]

for all x. This fact, together with the condition that any vector in the 3 direction is left unchanged by left action of R, is enough to completely determine the components of R.

This is a rotation, not magnitude change in the vector, only direction.

That's what I said.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the vector operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do linear transformations affect the shape and size of an object?

Linear transformations can change the shape and size of an object by stretching, shrinking, rotating, or shearing it. These changes are determined by the matrix that represents the linear transformation.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a rotation?

A linear transformation is a general term that includes rotations, as well as other types of transformations such as translations, reflections, and dilations. A rotation specifically refers to a linear transformation that rotates an object around a fixed point.

4. Can a linear transformation change the orientation of an object?

Yes, a linear transformation can change the orientation of an object by rotating it. However, other types of linear transformations such as translations and shears do not change orientation.

5. How are linear transformations and matrices related?

Linear transformations can be represented as matrices. The matrix that represents a linear transformation contains information about how the transformation affects the coordinates of points in space.