1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformations and rotations

1. Nov 1, 2004 #1

phy

Linear transformations and rotations....

Hi everyone. I need some help getting started on this question.

Let R: R3 ---> R3 be a rotation of pi/4 around the axix in R3. Find the matrix [R]E that defines the linear transformation R in the standard basis E={e1, e2, e3} of R3. Find R(1,2,1)

The problem I'm having is just I don't know how to handle the question since I'm not given an equation for R nor am I given some sort of vector to start with. Or am I supposed to put vectors e1, e2, and e3 as the colums of a matrix and do something like that? I'm confused so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since R3 is most likely the z-axis, the rotation is in the x-y plane. Think about the rotation of a vector in that plane, the rows of the transformation matrix would correspond to the coefficients of the transformation [tex] \vec{R}' = A \vec{R} [/tex]. A hint, the 3rd row of the matrix will be (0 0 1).

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3

phy

Hmmmmm, I'm not quite sure I understand. Would the first row be (0 0 1) and the second (0 1 0)?

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4

phy

Ooops I meant (1 0 0) and (0 1 0)

6. Nov 2, 2004 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, you are rotating about the z-axis, [tex] x' = x \cos(\pi/4) + y \sin(\pi/4) and y' = -x \sin(\pi/4) + y \sin(\pi/4) [/tex] check my signs, but I think thay may be correct. the 3rd row is as above. The initial vector is (1,2,1).

7. Nov 2, 2004 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rotation is a linear transformation that doesn't change the length of any vector. This means that

[tex]x^tx=(Rx)^t(Rx)[/tex]

for all x. This fact, together with the condition that any vector in the 3 direction is left unchanged by left action of R, is enough to completely determine the components of R.

8. Nov 2, 2004 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a rotation, not magnitude change in the vector, only direction.

9. Nov 3, 2004 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?