Linear Transformations hints

In summary, to find T(-3,4), we need to write (-3,4) as a linear combination of the given vectors u and v, which we can do by finding the coefficients α and β. Once we have the linear combination, we can use the fact that T(u)= 4 and T(v)= 5 to solve for T(-3,4).
Precursor

Homework Statement

Let u = (1,2), v = (3,1) and T: [tex]R^{2}\rightarrow R[/tex] be a linear transformation such that T(u)= 4 and T(v)= 5. What is T(-3, 4)? (Hint: Write (-3,4) as a linear combination of u and v.)

Homework Equations

T(x)= b

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. I know I have to write (-3,4) as a linear combination of u and v, but what do I do from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
The vectors u and v form a basis for R^2, since they're linearly independent (and there is two of them). So, you can write any vector in R^2 as their linear combination, with some coefficients α, β, so, for xome vector x (in your case (-3, 4) ), you have x = α u + β v. Now, what does T(x) equal to?

So I determined α = 3 and β = -2 using your method. I was then able to solve for T(-3,4) = 2.

Is this correct?

Yes, it is correct.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two vector spaces. It is a function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the basic structure and properties of the original space.

2. How can I recognize a linear transformation?

There are a few key characteristics that can help you identify a linear transformation. First, the transformation must be a function, meaning that each input has exactly one corresponding output. Second, the transformation must preserve vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, if you add two vectors and then apply the transformation, it should be the same as applying the transformation to each vector separately and then adding the results. Finally, the transformation must map the zero vector to the zero vector.

3. Why are linear transformations important?

Linear transformations are important because they have many applications in mathematics and science. They are used to model real-world phenomena, such as in physics and engineering. They also play a crucial role in linear algebra, which is a fundamental tool in many fields of study.

4. How do I perform a linear transformation?

To perform a linear transformation, you will need to know the transformation's matrix representation. This is a matrix that describes how the transformation maps each vector in the original space to the corresponding vector in the new space. To apply the transformation to a specific vector, simply multiply the vector by the transformation matrix.

5. What are some common types of linear transformations?

There are several common types of linear transformations, including rotations, reflections, shears, and dilations. These transformations can be represented by matrices and can be applied to vectors to produce different results. Other types of linear transformations include projections, orthogonal transformations, and invertible transformations.