1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Transformations hints

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let u = (1,2), v = (3,1) and T: [tex]R^{2}\rightarrow R[/tex] be a linear transformation such that T(u)= 4 and T(v)= 5. What is T(-3, 4)? (Hint: Write (-3,4) as a linear combination of u and v.)

2. Relevant equations
    T(x)= b

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to start. I know I have to write (-3,4) as a linear combination of u and v, but what do I do from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

The vectors u and v form a basis for R^2, since they're linearly independent (and there is two of them). So, you can write any vector in R^2 as their linear combination, with some coefficients α, β, so, for xome vector x (in your case (-3, 4) ), you have x = α u + β v. Now, what does T(x) equal to?

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    So I determined α = 3 and β = -2 using your method. I was then able to solve for T(-3,4) = 2.

Is this correct?

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, it is correct.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook