1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformations

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
    A question reads:

Let T: V-->W be a linear transformation.

a) If T is one-to-one and TR=TR1 for transformations R and R1: U -->V, show that R = R1
    b) If T is onto and ST=S1T for transformations S and S1: W -->U, show that S=S1

I am sooo very lost here, and no idea where to start:(

for part a) what does it mean by TR and TR1?
    just T(R): U --->V and T(R1): U ---V?

If its onto, dosn't that just mean T(R) = o and then show that R = 0?

I wont even bother with part be given that im confused with part A

Can somebody help me please

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Definitions:

If A is a map from X to Y, and B is a map from Y to Z, then BA is a map from X to Z defined by:

BA(x) = B(A(x))

for all x in X. So, if f(x) = 3x, and g(x) = x+5, then gf(x) = g(f(x)) = g(3x) = 3x+5. Note that fg(x) = f(g(x)) = f(x+5) = 3(x+5) = 3x+15, so gf is not the same as fg.

If A is a map from X to Y and B is also a map from X to Y, then A = B if and only if, for all x in X, A(x) = B(x).

A map A from X to Y is one-to-one if and only if, for all x and x' in X, A(x) = A(x') if and only if x = x'. In simpler terms, a one-to-one map never sends two different things to the same element; each element of the co-domain gets its own image. The map f on the reals defined by f(x) = x² is not one-to-one, because it sends both 1 and -1 to the same thing, namely 1.

A map A from X to Y is onto if and only if, for all y in Y, there exists some x in X such that A(x) = y. In simpler terms, a map is onto if it reaches everything in the codomain. The map f in the previous example is not onto, since it will only map into the non-negative half of the reals.

4. Nov 22, 2005 #3
    no progress so far :(

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, R takes a vector in U to one in V, then T takes it to a vector in W.
    TR: U-> W That is, if x is in U, apply R to it to get R(x) in V. Now apply T to that to get T(R(x)) in W. It is essentially composition of functions.
    No, "one-to-one" means that if T(x)= T(y) then x= y: two different vectors in V cannot[\b] be mapped to the same vector in W. For T a linear transformation, T(0)= 0 so "one-to-one" for a linear transformation is the same as saying T(x)= 0 if and only if x= 0.
    TR= TR1 means that for every vector x in U, TR(x)= TR1(x). That is,
    T(R(x))= T(R1(x)). Since T is one-to-one, what does that tell you about
    R(x) and R1(x)? Since x could be any vector in U, what does that tell you about R and R1?

"onto" means that the range of T is all of W: if y is any vector in W, then there is some x in V so that T(x)= y. (for example, x2 is not "onto" the set of all real numbers since no x2 is equal to -1. It is "onto" the set of all non-negative numbers.)

Again ST= S1T1 means that S(T(x))= S1(T(x)) for all x in V.
    Let y be any vector in W. Then there exist x such that y= T(x). For that x, S(T(x))= S(y)= S1(T(x))= S1(y). That is, for every y in W, S(y)= S1(y).

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5
    Since T is one-to-one, that tells me that R(x) = R1(x)
    And since X is any vector in U, then that tells me that R = R1

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
  7. Nov 26, 2005 #6
    Okay im back again with a similar question.

Let V---(T)--->U---(S)---W be linear transformations.
    a) If ST is one-to-one, show that T is one-to-one and that dimV </= dim U

Here is how i attempted it:

Assume T is NOT one-to-one

if x is a vector in V, then for ever x not equal to 0 such that T(x) = 0

then
    ST(x) = 0
    =S(T(x))
    =S(0)
    therefore, T is one-to-one?

How does that sound?

Now how do i show that dimV is </= dim U?

8. Nov 26, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by this: "if x is a vector in V, then for ever x not equal to 0 such that T(x) = 0"
    It doesn't have to be for "ever(y) x not equal to 0". It is true that if T is not one-to-one, then there must exist some x, not equal to 0, such that T(x)= 0. Then, of course, ST(x)= S(0)= 0 which contradicts the fact that S is one-to-one.

Now, apply T to every basis vector of V. How many vectors does give you? What does that tell you about the dimension of T(V) (which is a subspace of U)?

9. Nov 27, 2005 #8
    Okay im so lost. Ill start again.

Let x be a basis vector in V, not equal to 0, such that T(x) = 0
    Then ST(x) = S(0) = 0 contradicts that S is one-to-one?
    How does this show that T is one-to-one

If T is one-to-one, ker(T) = 0. therefore, dimV = dimImage(T) and Image(T) = U... so dimV = dimU

How does that sound?

10. Nov 28, 2005 #9
    oh i don't know how i missed that, i see why it contradicts one-to-one! im so silly.

Now for the dimension,

If you apply T to ever basis in V, since T is one-to-one, you will get that many vectors. And since V is a subspace of U, its dimension cannot be greater than that of U.

How does that sound? (If anyone actually seems to care :S)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?