Linear Transformations: Understanding and Applying Transition Matrices

In summary: You're right! I was looking at the wrong numbers. From 2c= 6, c= 3. Then b+ 6= 12 so b= 6. and a+ 6+ 9= 9 so a= -6. The last column is [-6 6 3].
chantella28
I have an assignment problem and I don't even know where to start... I'm taking the course through correspondence so i have no notes or prof to talk to... I've read my text and course manual over and over again but I just can't figure it out
Let T: P2->P2 be a linear transformation defined by T(a+bx+cx^2) = (a+b+c)+2(b+c)x+3cx^2. Let B = {1,1+x,3+4x+2x^2} and B' = {1,x,x^2} be two ordered bases of P2. Find the following:
a) (T)B'B'
b) P the transition matrix from B to B'
c) P-1 the transition matrix from B' to B
d) (T)BB
i somewhat understand part b and c... i know there is explanation of those in my text that i understand... but i don't know how to even approach part a and d... there is nothing even remotely similar in my text examples

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the matrix of a linear transformation in a given basis, you must calculate the result of the transformation on each of your basis vectors and then decompose that result in terms of the basis vectors. The coeffecients of that decomposition are the matrix elements.

For example, consider the transformation T that maps P1 to P1 and is given by T(a + bx) = (a+b) + (a-b)x. To write this in the basis consisting of 1+x and 1-x, I follow the procedure outlined above. First, T(1+x) = 2, and I decompose this in terms of the basis vectors as 2 = 1*(1+x) + 1*(1-x). This tells me that the first column of my matrix has 1 in the first row (from the number in front of 1+x) and 1 in the second row (from the number in front of 1-x). Now I do the same for 1-x to find T(1-x) = 2x = 1*(1+x) + (-1)*(1-x). This means the second column of my matrix has 1 in the first row and -1 in the second row. Therefore in this basis, the first basis vector 1+x is represented by
[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right],
[/tex]
my second basis vector 1-x is represented by
[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right],
[/tex]
and the linear transformation is represented by the matrix
[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{array} \right].
[/tex]

Hope this helps.

Edit: I got something backwards in the original post, fixed now.

Last edited:
how did you get T(1+x) = 2 and T(1-x) = 2x ?

chantella28 said:
how did you get T(1+x) = 2 and T(1-x) = 2x ?

"For example, consider the transformation T that maps P1 to P1 and is given by T(a + bx) = (a+b) + (a-b)x."

He's not doing your T, he made up one of his own so you would have the experience of apply the concept to yours.

In 1+ x, a= 1, b= 1 so (a+b)= (1+1)= 2 and (a-b)= (1-1)= 0.
T(1+x)= 2+ 0x= 2.
In 1- x, a= 1, b= -1 so (a+b)= (1+(-1))= 0 and (a-b)= (1-(-1))= 2.
T(1-x)= 0+ 2x= 2x.

Now for your problem: You said "T(a+bx+cx^2) = (a+b+c)+2(b+c)x+3cx^2" and B = {1,1+x,3+4x+2x^2}
Write 1 as 1+ 0x+ 0x^2 so a= 1, b= 0 ,c= 0. What is T(1)?
Write 1+ x as 1+ 1x+ 0x^2 so z= 1, b= 1, c= 0. What is T(1+x)?
For 3+ 4x+ 2x^2, a= 3, b= 4, c= 2. What is T(3+4x+2x^2)?

Now, write each of those answers as a linear combination of {1,1+x,3+4x+2x^2}. The coefficients will be the columns of the matrix (T)BB. The other way, (T)B'B' is the same idea but much easier!
For the transition matrices, apply T to each basis vector but write the result in terms of the other basis.

okay, so am I doing this right?:
T(1) = 1
T(1+x) = 2
T(3+4x+2x^2) = 9
then for the matrix TBB i would get

|1 0 0|
|1 1 0|
|3 4 2|

is this right?

why is it written TBB... why are there two B's?

chantella28 said:
okay, so am I doing this right?:
T(1) = 1
T(1+x) = 2
T(3+4x+2x^2) = 9
No, that's not at all right. You were given that
T(a+bx+cx^2) = (a+b+c)+2(b+c)x+3cx^2
if a+ bx+ cx^2= 1, then a= 1, b= 0, c= 0 so T(1)= 1 as you have
but if a+ bx+ cx^2= 1+ x, then a= 1, b= 1, c= 0 so T(1+x)= (1+1)+ 2(1+0)x+ 3(0)x^2= 2+ 2x, not just "2".
If a+ bx+ cx^2= 3+ 4x+ 2x^2, then a= 3, b= 4, c= 2 so T(3+4x+2x^2)= (3+4+2)+ 2(4+2)x+ 3(2)x^2= 9+ 12x+ 6x^2.
Now write each of those as a linear combination of 1, 1+x, 3+4x+2x^2.
Clearly 1= 1(1)+ 0(1+x)+ 0(3+4x+2x^2 so the first column of the matrix is [1 0 0].
2+ 2x= 0(1)+ 2(1+x)+ 0(3+4x+2x^2) so the second column is [0 2 0].
9+ 12x+ 6x^2 is harder. 9+ 12x+ 6x^2= a(1)+ b(1+x)+ c(3+4x+2x^2)=
(a+b+3c)+ (b+ 2c)x+ 2cx^2 so we must have a+ b+ 3c= 9, b+ 2c= 12, and 2c= 2. From the last, c= 1. Then b+ 2= 12 so b= 10. Finally, a+ 10+ 3= 9 so a= -4. The final column is [-4 10 1].
[/quote]then for the matrix TBB i would get
|1 0 0|
|1 1 0|
|3 4 2|
is this right?
why is it written TBB... why are there two B's?[/QUOTE]
Every linear transformation has a "domain" space and a "range" space which could have different bases. Here you are using the same base (1, 1+x, 3+4x+2x^2) for both the domain and the range.

okay... i think i get it, but for the last one... why is it b + 2c = 2 and 2c = 2... shouldn't it be b+4c=12 and 2c=6?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a set of numbers, known as the domain, to another set of numbers, known as the range, in a linear fashion. This means that the output of the function is a linear combination of the inputs, where the coefficients of the inputs remain constant.

2. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix, which consists of columns that correspond to the inputs and rows that correspond to the outputs. The values in the matrix represent the coefficients of the inputs in the linear combination that produces the outputs.

3. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

There are three main properties of a linear transformation: additivity, homogeneity, and preservation of the origin. Additivity means that the transformation preserves the sum of two inputs. Homogeneity means that the transformation preserves scalar multiplication, meaning that multiplying an input by a constant also multiplies the output by the same constant. Preservation of the origin means that the transformation maps the origin (0,0) to itself.

4. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can check if it satisfies the three properties mentioned above. You can also test it by applying the transformation to a set of points and seeing if it produces a straight line. If the transformation preserves the linear relationship between the points, then it is linear.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include using linear transformations to rotate or scale objects in computer graphics, or to model the movement of objects in physics. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to transform data into a more useful format for analysis.