Linear Transformations: Proofs and Examples for R^2 to R^2

In summary, the conversation is discussing linear transformations and determining whether a given map is a linear transformation. The conversation covers the necessary steps for proving or disproving linearity and discusses the use of vectors and scalars in the process. The conversation ends with confirmation that the steps laid out are correct.
karnten07
[SOLVED] Linear transformations

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following maps are linear transformations. (proofs or counterexamples required)

a.) L: R^2[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R^2,

(x1)
(x2)
[tex]\mapsto[/tex]
(2x1 + 3x2)
(0)

The brackets should be two large brackets surrounding the two vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been reading about linear transformations and i know i have to show something like:

L(x1+x2)= L(x1) +L(x2) and L(cx1)= cL(x1) where c is a scalar.

Is this right and i should treat x1 and x2 separately rather than the vector including x1 and x2 as one element of R^2?

What I am trying to say is, do i need to define a vector (y1, y2) as well in the set of R^2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For x,y [tex]\in[/tex]R^2,

x=(x1,x2) and y= (y1,y2)

x+y=(x1,x2)+(y1,y2)= (x1+y1, x2+y2)
L(x+y) = L(x1+y1, x2+y2)
=2(x1+y1)+3(x2+y2)
=(2x1+3x2)+(2y1+3y2)
=L(x) +L(y)

Is this right for the first part?

Then because cx= c(x1,x2) = (cx1,cx2) you have
L(cx) = L(cx1, cx2) = (2cx1 + 3cx2)
=c(2x1 + 3x2)
=cL(x)

I think I'm understanding it more now, if this is right that is.

That's right. I think you've got it.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you prove that a transformation is linear?

To prove that a transformation is linear, you must show that it satisfies two properties: additivity and homogeneity. Additivity means that the transformation of the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of the individual transformations. Homogeneity means that the transformation of a scalar multiple of a vector is equal to the product of the scalar and the transformation of the original vector.

3. Can you give an example of a linear transformation from R^2 to R^2?

One example of a linear transformation from R^2 to R^2 is a rotation about the origin. This transformation takes a vector in R^2 and rotates it by a given angle, while preserving the length and direction of the vector.

4. How can I represent a linear transformation using matrices?

A linear transformation can be represented using matrices by defining a standard basis in both the input and output vector spaces. The columns of the matrix represent the transformation of each basis vector from the input space to the output space.

5. What is the determinant of a linear transformation's matrix representation?

The determinant of a linear transformation's matrix representation is a measure of how the transformation affects the area of the input vector space. If the determinant is 0, the transformation is said to be singular and it collapses the input space into a lower-dimensional output space.