1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformations

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be the vector space of all functions f: R->R which can be differentiated arbitrarily many times.
    a)Let T:V->V be the linear transformation defined by T(f) = f'. Find the (real) eigenvalues and eigenvectors of T. More precisely, for each real eigenvalue describe the eigenspace of T corresponding to the eigenvalue. (Since the elements of the vector space are functions, some people would use the term eigenfunction instead of eigenvector
    b)Now let T:V->V be the linear transformation defined by T(f) = f''. Prove that every real number eigenvalue is an eigenvalue of T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to start :S
    The eigenvectors should be functions f where
    T(f) = eigenvalue x f
    So, f' = eigenvalue x f
    What do I do from here? I can't expand it cos I don't know the form of f(x)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well I can think of a class of functions for which f(n) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]f. Though I don't know if they are the only possible types of functions which satisfy this property.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    Would that be the exponential functions?

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, you need to solve the differential equations [itex]df/dx= \lambda f[/itex] and [itex]d^f/dx^2= \lambda f[/itex]. That shouldn't be too hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?