How to determine a formula for T using given linear transformations?

In summary, T(x) can be defined using the matrix A = [1/2 1/2; 2 0; 3/2 -1/2]T and can be written as T(x) = Ax, where x is the vector [x1 x2]T. The columns of A are determined by T([1 0]T) and T([0 1]T), which can be found by plugging in the given values for T(u1) and T(u2).
EV33

Homework Statement

Derive a formula for T.

T([1 1]^T)=[2 -1]^T and

T([1 -1]^T)=[0 3]^T

(...^T=transpose and T(...)=Linear Transformation

Homework Equations

T(c1v1+...+cnvn)=c1T(v1)+...+cnT(vn)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions manual's method and the method I am supposed to use for these problems.

Let u1=[1 1]^T and u2=[0 -1]^T. If x=[x1 x2]^T then x=[(x1+x2)/2]u1+[(x1-x2)/2]u2...

this is the full solution but I don't know what they are doing here. My question is where did the 1/2's come from?

It says to use the equation that have in the relavant equations part, but I don't see how that would get me where they are.

Using that I would get...

T(u1+u2)=T(u1)+T(u2)=a1u1+a2u2=a1[2 -1]^T + a2[0 3]^T

and I am stuck at this point and don't see a connection between what I have and what they have.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really want to know what T does to the standard basis {[1 0]^T, [0 1]^T}. As it turns out, [1 0]^T = 1/2 * [1 1]^T + 1/2* [1 -1]^T, and
[0 1]^T = 1/2 * [1 1]^T - 1/2* [1 -1]^T.

I don't be a pain here but I don't see the connection. The problem doesn't say anything about the standard basis.

So am I supposed to set up 2 matrices each time I have a problem like this and put e1 in the augmented side of 1, and e2 in the augmented side of the other?

If you know what T does to [1 0]T and [0 1]T, then you know what it does to any arbitrary vector [x y]T. The reason is that [x y]T = x* [1 0]T + y*[0 1]T.

So T([x y]T) = T(x* [1 0]T + y*[0 1]T) = x*T([1 0]T) + y*T([0 1]T).

Thank you for all the help so far Mark 44, but I am having trouble getting this.

I know what we are trying to do here. But this process makes no sense to me.I know we are just looking for an equation that we plug x from T(X) into to get T(x). I can do these easy problems obviously without doing this process, but I am guessing these can get a lot uglier so if someone could just walk me through a full problem I think that might really help me. If someone is up for that I can post a problem or if you have a good example problem that works too.

Let's try T([1 1]^T)=[1 2 1]^T
and T([1 -1]^T)=[0 2 2]^T

Let's call the vectors being transformed u1 and u2

x=a1u1+a2u2
T(x)=a1[1 2 1]^T+a2[0 2 2]^T

then I set up a matrix
1 1 1
1 -1 0

1 1 0
1 -1 1

then I get the x1 and x2 of each of those to be 1/2.

So a1=[(x1+x2)/2),(2x1+2x2)/2),(x1+x2)/2]^T
a2=[(x1+x2)/2),(x1-x2)/2),(x1-x2)/2)]^T

Is this right so far?

If so how do I finish the problem up?

EV33 said:
Thank you for all the help so far Mark 44, but I am having trouble getting this.

I know what we are trying to do here. But this process makes no sense to me.I know we are just looking for an equation that we plug x from T(X) into to get T(x).
No, that's not it. We aren't looking for an equation we can plug in. We don't know T(x). What we would like is some matrix A such that T(x) = Ax.

All we know are T(u) and T(v) for some arbitrary vectors u and v. We would like to know what T(x) is for any old vector x. We're trying to figure out what the transformation does to a basis, because if we know that, we know what it will do to any vector. This is what I said in post #4.
EV33 said:
I can do these easy problems obviously without doing this process, but I am guessing these can get a lot uglier so if someone could just walk me through a full problem I think that might really help me. If someone is up for that I can post a problem or if you have a good example problem that works too.

Let's try T([1 1]^T)=[1 2 1]^T
and T([1 -1]^T)=[0 2 2]^T

Let's call the vectors being transformed u1 and u2
OK. By inspection, I can see that (1/2)(u1 + u2) = [1 0]T, and also that (1/2)(u1 - u2) = [0 1]T. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise, since u1 and u2 are the same vectors as in the first problem.
EV33 said:
x=a1u1+a2u2
T(x)=a1[1 2 1]^T+a2[0 2 2]^T
No, you can't say that. You don't know what T(x) is - that's really what the problem wants you to find. Also, let's leave x out of things. Here's what we know.
T([1 0]T) = T((1/2)(u1 + u2)) = (1/2)T(u1) + (1/2)T(u2) = [1/2 2 3/2]T

Also, T([0 1]T) = T((1/2)(u1 - u2)) = (1/2)T(u1) - (1/2)T(u2) = [1/2 0 -1/2]T

In the work above, I used what you gave me for T(u1) and T(u2).

Now, we're ready to define T(x), where x is the vector [x1 x2]T.

T(x) = T([x1 x2]T) = T(x1*[1 0]T + x2*[0 1]T)
= x1*T([1 0]T) + x2*T([0 1]T)
= x1* (what?) + x2*(what?)

This defines T(x).

As a side note, T([1 0]T) and T([0 1]T) can be used to define the columns of a 3 x 2 matrix that I'll call A.

You can also define the transformation T(x) using the matrix:
T(x) = Ax

For this problem, A turns out to be
[1/2 1/2]
[2 0 ]
[3/2 -1/2]

EV33 said:
then I set up a matrix
1 1 1
1 -1 0

1 1 0
1 -1 1

then I get the x1 and x2 of each of those to be 1/2.

So a1=[(x1+x2)/2),(2x1+2x2)/2),(x1+x2)/2]^T
a2=[(x1+x2)/2),(x1-x2)/2),(x1-x2)/2)]^T

Is this right so far?

If so how do I finish the problem up?

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original space. It is also known as a linear map or linear operator.

What is the difference between a linear transformation and a regular function?

A linear transformation is a special type of function that satisfies two additional properties: it preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that the output of a linear transformation for a sum of vectors is equal to the sum of the individual outputs, and the output of a linear transformation for a scaled vector is equal to the scaled output of the original vector.

How are linear transformations represented?

Linear transformations can be represented in several ways, including using matrices, systems of linear equations, and geometrically through transformations on vector spaces. The most common representation is using matrices, where the columns represent the transformed basis vectors of the original space.

What is the difference between a linear transformation and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the structure of a vector space, while a nonlinear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation maps straight lines to straight lines, while a nonlinear transformation can map them to curves or other shapes.

What are the real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many applications in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model physical systems, analyze data, and create 3D graphics in computer programming. In economics, linear transformations are used in linear regression to analyze relationships between variables.