Linearizing a Nonlinear Mixing Tank System: Finding Steady-State Concentrations

In summary: Sorry for my mistake...In summary, the problem is to linearize a nonlinear system involving a mixing tank with input and output streams of known flow rates and concentrations, assuming perfect mixing and proportional outlet flow rate. The goal is to express the concentration of the outlet stream as a nominal steady-state value plus a linear approximation. The approach is to use a material balance equation and Taylor series expansion to derive a linear expression for the concentration.
danago
Gold Member
I have a problem to solve where i am required to linearise a nonlinear system. Basically, the system involves a mixing tank of height H(t) and cross section area A with two input streams with flow rates Q1(t) and Q2(t) with concentrations C1 and C2 of some species (concentrations are constant). There is one outlet stream with flow rate Q(t) and concentration C(t). We are assuming that the tank is always perfectly mixed and that the outlet flow rate is proportional to [tex]\sqrt{H(t)}[/tex].

So what i need to do is express the concentration of the outlet stream as some nominal steady-state value plus an additional term for deviations from this nominal value

i.e. C(t) = C0 + c(t)

Where c(t) is a linear approximation. My first thought is to write a material balance on the species in the fluid:

i.e. [tex]\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {CAH(t)} \right) = {C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2} - CQ[/tex]

It wouldn't be too hard to solve this DE for C(t), but I am not sure where to go from there. I guess i could then differentiate C(t) with respect to each variable to linearise it, but this seems a little tedious so I am not sure if there is something else i should be doing?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
danago said:
I have a problem to solve where i am required to linearise a nonlinear system. Basically, the system involves a mixing tank of height H(t) and cross section area A with two input streams with flow rates Q1(t) and Q2(t) with concentrations C1 and C2 of some species (concentrations are constant). There is one outlet stream with flow rate Q(t) and concentration C(t). We are assuming that the tank is always perfectly mixed and that the outlet flow rate is proportional to [tex]\sqrt{H(t)}[/tex].

So what i need to do is express the concentration of the outlet stream as some nominal steady-state value plus an additional term for deviations from this nominal value

i.e. C(t) = C0 + c(t)

Where c(t) is a linear approximation.

My first thought is to write a material balance on the species in the fluid:

i.e. [tex]\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {CAH(t)} \right) = {C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2} - CQ[/tex]

It wouldn't be too hard to solve this DE for C(t), but I am not sure where to go from there. I guess i could then differentiate C(t) with respect to each variable to linearise it, but this seems a little tedious so I am not sure if there is something else i should be doing?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.

Expand your nonlinear equation in a Taylor series and take the first two terms.

Are you referring to the analytical solution of the differential equation? If i solve the DE (i used the integrating factor method), i get:

[tex]C(t) = \frac{{\int {({C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2}){e^{\int {\frac{k}{{A\sqrt H }}dt} }}dt + \alpha } }}{{AH{e^{\int {\frac{k}{{A\sqrt H }}dt} }}}}[/tex]

where alpha is a constant of integration.

Im not sure if this is correct, and even if it is, it seems a little difficult to linearise, especially since i don't know the exact form of the flow rate functions Q1 and Q2

Thanks for the reply by the way :)

danago said:
Are you referring to the analytical solution of the differential equation? If i solve the DE (i used the integrating factor method), i get:

[tex]C(t) = \frac{{\int {({C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2}){e^{\int {\frac{k}{{A\sqrt H }}dt} }}dt + \alpha } }}{{AH{e^{\int {\frac{k}{{A\sqrt H }}dt} }}}}[/tex]

where alpha is a constant of integration.

Im not sure if this is correct, and even if it is, it seems a little difficult to linearise, especially since i don't know the exact form of the flow rate functions Q1 and Q2

Thanks for the reply by the way :)

Do you need an analytical solution, or a numerical solution will do?

If you can use a numerical solution, you can start from

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}C(t) = f(C, t)[/tex]

and

[tex]C(t_0) = C_0[/tex]

and calculate

[tex]C(T) = C_0 + \frac{d}{dt}C(t_0) T[/tex]

then calculate [tex]C(2T) [/tex] from [tex]C(T) [/tex] and so on.

If you need an analytical solution, you can make

[tex]f(C, t) = f(C_0, t_0) + \frac{df}{dC}(C_0, t_0) \right( C - C_0 \left )[/tex]
and integrate.

CEL said:
Do you need an analytical solution, or a numerical solution will do?

If you can use a numerical solution, you can start from

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}C(t) = f(C, t)[/tex]

and

[tex]C(t_0) = C_0[/tex]

and calculate

[tex]C(T) = C_0 + \frac{d}{dt}C(t_0) T[/tex]

then calculate [tex]C(2T) [/tex] from [tex]C(T) [/tex] and so on.

If you need an analytical solution, you can make

[tex]f(C, t) = f(C_0, t_0) + \frac{df}{dC}(C_0, t_0) \right( C - C_0 \left )[/tex]
and integrate.

I think i understand what you are saying; using the product rule of differentiation with the species material balance gives me:

[tex]C\frac{{d(AH)}}{{dt}} + AH\frac{{dC}}{{dt}} = {C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2} - CQ[/tex]

I can then express the derivative of AH as a sum of flow rates into and out of the tank:

[tex]C({Q_1} + {Q_2} - Q) + AH\frac{{dC}}{{dt}} = {C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2} - CQ[/tex]

Rearranging this and substituting the relevant values for t=0 (denoted by a zero in the subscript) gives:

[tex]{\left. {\frac{{dC}}{{dt}}} \right|_{t = 0}} = \frac{{{C_{1}}{Q_{10}} + {C_{2}}{Q_{20}} - {C_0}({Q_{10}} + {Q_{20}})}}{{A{H_0}}}[/tex]

I can then use this to give me the linearised form:

[tex]C(t) = {C_0} + {\left. {\frac{{dC}}{{dt}}} \right|_{t = 0}}t[/tex]

Have i taken the right approach with this?

danago said:
I think i understand what you are saying; using the product rule of differentiation with the species material balance gives me:

[tex]C\frac{{d(AH)}}{{dt}} + AH\frac{{dC}}{{dt}} = {C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2} - CQ[/tex]

I can then express the derivative of AH as a sum of flow rates into and out of the tank:

[tex]C({Q_1} + {Q_2} - Q) + AH\frac{{dC}}{{dt}} = {C_1}{Q_1} + {C_2}{Q_2} - CQ[/tex]

Rearranging this and substituting the relevant values for t=0 (denoted by a zero in the subscript) gives:

[tex]{\left. {\frac{{dC}}{{dt}}} \right|_{t = 0}} = \frac{{{C_{1}}{Q_{10}} + {C_{2}}{Q_{20}} - {C_0}({Q_{10}} + {Q_{20}})}}{{A{H_0}}}[/tex]

I can then use this to give me the linearised form:

[tex]C(t) = {C_0} + {\left. {\frac{{dC}}{{dt}}} \right|_{t = 0}}t[/tex]

Have i taken the right approach with this?

Yes, it is correct.

Alright, thanks very much :smile: Your help is much appreciated!

1. What is linearization of a mixing tank?

Linearization of a mixing tank is the process of converting a nonlinear system into a linear one for easier analysis and control. It involves approximating the behavior of the nonlinear system around a certain operating point.

2. Why is linearization of a mixing tank important?

Linearization of a mixing tank is important because it simplifies the analysis and control of the system. It allows for the use of linear control techniques, which are easier and more efficient to implement compared to nonlinear control techniques.

3. How is linearization of a mixing tank achieved?

Linearization of a mixing tank can be achieved through mathematical modeling and analysis of the system. This involves determining the system's transfer function and linearizing it around a specific operating point using techniques such as Taylor series expansion.

4. What are the benefits of linearizing a mixing tank?

The benefits of linearizing a mixing tank include improved system stability, faster response times, and easier control implementation. It also allows for better understanding of the system's dynamics, making it easier to optimize and improve its performance.

5. Are there any limitations to linearizing a mixing tank?

Yes, there are limitations to linearizing a mixing tank. The linearized model is only accurate within a certain range around the operating point, and may not accurately represent the system's behavior outside of this range. Additionally, the linearized model may not capture all nonlinear effects and may result in errors in the system's response.