Linearising Graphs: Need Help with Height vs Velocity Relationship

• Thread starter Yagami Edo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the researcher is unable to linearise the graph of the relationship between height and velocity. They tried squaring the velocity and neither showed a perfectly straight line. They may be able to with a spreadsheet and by knowing the behaviour of V squared as a function of h.
Yagami Edo
I'm currently doing a lab on the relationship between height and velocity, however I am unable to linearise the graph. I'm not sure whether it should be root height vs velocity or height vs velocity squared. It would be great if someone could help me, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yagami Edo said:
I'm not sure whether it should be root height vs velocity or height vs velocity squared.

Either method should work, if you do it properly. The math might be simpler using one method. It depends on what information you want to extract from the graph, via the slope and/or y-intercept.

Likes Yagami Edo
Hello Yagami, welcome to PF :smile: !

Will be glad to help, but you have to say a bit more of what this is about ! what is the experiment, what height, what velocity.
"root height vs velocity or height vs velocity squared"sounds like the same thing to me if there is no offset.
And perhaps it's height squared versus velocity (probably not, though :smile: ).

Likes Yagami Edo
Thanks, for this lab we are to find the relationship between the velocity of a trolley moving down a ramp and the height of the ramp.

Yagami Edo said:
I'm currently doing a lab on the relationship between height and velocity, however I am unable to linearise the graph. I'm not sure whether it should be root height vs velocity or height vs velocity squared
OK, so the next question is: in what way are you unable to linearise ? You tried both ways and neither shows a perfectly straight line ? For every measurement point there are some uncertainties in speed and height to take into account - perhaps they spoil the picture becasue the errors are a bit big ? Or do the plots have distinctly nonlinear characteristics ?

Likes Yagami Edo
The plots have distinctly nonlinear characteristics when attempting to linearise by squaring the velocity.

And you are familiar with the behaviour of ##v^2## as a function of ##h## as expected from the theory ?

Likes Yagami Edo
Yagami Edo said:
I'm currently doing a lab on the relationship between height and velocity, however I am unable to linearise the graph. I'm not sure whether it should be root height vs velocity or height vs velocity squared. It would be great if someone could help me, thanks.

jtbell said:
Either method should work, if you do it properly. The math might be simpler using one method. It depends on what information you want to extract from the graph, via the slope and/or y-intercept.
To get a straight line, all that's necessary is to plot the 'whole' of the left hand side of an equation with the 'whole' of the right side. The resulting points will all lie on a straight diagonal line. The difference between the resulting graphs is where the points will actually lie on this diagonal line. You can do virtually anything to both sides of the equation and you still get a straight line. What you choose to do will affect where the points actually lie on this line. They can be bunched up at one end or the other or spread out. You should choose which gives you the most suitable (for you) result.

I can recommend the use of a spreadsheet for this sort of graphing exercise. You can choose a whole range of graphs by choosing various columns, based on what you do with the original data columns. (It's a good intro to simple coding, too)

Likes Yagami Edo
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not really aware of the behaviour of V squared as a function of h

Yagami Edo said:
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not really aware of the behaviour of V squared as a function of h

Why don't you start by writing down ALL the kinematical equations that you do know at this level?

Zz.

1. How do I linearize a graph?

To linearize a graph, you need to plot the data on a graph and determine the relationship between the x and y variables. Once you have identified the type of relationship (linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.), you can use different mathematical techniques such as taking the logarithm or square root of the data to transform it into a linear relationship.

2. Why is it important to linearize a graph?

Linearizing a graph can make it easier to analyze and interpret data. It can also help identify patterns and trends that may not be apparent in the original data. In addition, linear relationships are easier to model and make predictions from compared to non-linear relationships.

3. What is the purpose of linearizing the height vs velocity relationship?

The purpose of linearizing the height vs velocity relationship is to better understand the relationship between these two variables and to potentially create a linear model that can be used to make predictions about future data points. This can be particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. What are some techniques for linearizing a graph?

Some techniques for linearizing a graph include taking the natural logarithm, taking the square root, or using a power function. These techniques can help transform non-linear data into a linear relationship, making it easier to analyze and interpret.

5. Are there any limitations to linearizing a graph?

Yes, there are some limitations to linearizing a graph. In some cases, it may not be possible to transform the data into a linear relationship. Additionally, linearizing a graph may change the interpretation of the data and can potentially lead to incorrect conclusions if not done carefully. It is important to consider the limitations and potential biases when linearizing a graph.