Understanding Linearity of Differential Equations

In summary, a differential equation is linear if it can be written as a sum of terms where each term contains only one factor of the function or its derivatives.
APUGYael
Hey all,

I don't understand what makes a differential equation (DE) linear.
I found this: "x y' = 1 is non-linear because y' is not multiplied by a constant"
but then also this: "x' + (t^2)x = 0 is linear in x".

t^2 also isn't a constant.
So why is this equation linear?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A differential operator ##\hat L## is linear if ##\hat L (a f_1 + b f_2) = a\hat L f_1 + b \hat L f_2##, where a and b are constants and the fs functions.

A differential equation for a function ##f## is linear if it can be written as ##\hat L f = g##, where g is some fixed function that does not depend on f. If g=0 the differential equation is homogeneous.

x y’’(x) = 1 is an inhomogeneous linear differential equation. Your second example is a homogeneous linear differential equation.

Orodruin said:
A differential operator ##\hat L## is linear if ##\hat L (a f_1 + b f_2) = a\hat L f_1 + b \hat L f_2##, where a and b are constants and the fs functions.

A differential equation for a function ##f## is linear if it can be written as ##\hat L f = g##, where g is some fixed function that does not depend on f. If g=0 the differential equation is homogeneous.

x y’’(x) = 1 is an inhomogeneous linear differential equation. Your second example is a homogeneous linear differential equation.

I don't understand, still. What makes y(t) different from t2. They're both non-constants.
If you define y(t)=t^2 then you would be able to do y(t) (a+b) = ay(t)+by(t) = at^2 +bt^2, right?

Last edited:
You do not "define" ##y(t)##, you need to solve the differential equation to find out what ##y(t)## is. It has nothing to do with whether or not the coefficient in front of ##y## is constant in the independent variable or not. The only thing that matters is the property I described above, i.e., whether or not the differential equation can be written ##\hat L y = g## for some linear differential operator ##\hat L## or not. To take your first example, your differential operator would be ##\hat L = x (d/dx)## and ##g = 1##, leading to
$$
\hat L y(x) = x\frac{dy}{dx} = x y'(x) = 1.
$$
The operator ##\hat L## is linear because
$$
\hat L [a_1 y_1(x) + a_2 y_2(x)] = x \frac{d}{dx}[a_1 y_1(x) + a_2 y_2(x)] = a_1 x \frac{dy_1}{dx} + a_2 x \frac{dy_2}{dx} = a_1 \hat L y_1 + a_2 \hat L y_2.
$$

Edit: Effectively, the DE is linear if it is a sum of terms where each term contains only one factor of ##y(x)## or its derivatives. It does not matter whether the coefficients are constant in the independent variable or not.

Edit 2: So the general linear ODE of order ##n## is of the form
$$
\sum_{k = 0}^n f_k(x) \frac{d^ky}{dx^k} = g(x).
$$
The ODE is homogeneous if ##g(x) = 0## and otherwise inhomogeneous.

Likes AVBs2Systems
Orodruin said:
You do not "define" ##y(t)##, you need to solve the differential equation to find out what ##y(t)## is. It has nothing to do with whether or not the coefficient in front of ##y## is constant in the independent variable or not. The only thing that matters is the property I described above, i.e., whether or not the differential equation can be written ##\hat L y = g## for some linear differential operator ##\hat L## or not. To take your first example, your differential operator would be ##\hat L = x (d/dx)## and ##g = 1##, leading to
$$
\hat L y(x) = x\frac{dy}{dx} = x y'(x) = 1.
$$
The operator ##\hat L## is linear because
$$
\hat L [a_1 y_1(x) + a_2 y_2(x)] = x \frac{d}{dx}[a_1 y_1(x) + a_2 y_2(x)] = a_1 x \frac{dy_1}{dx} + a_2 x \frac{dy_2}{dx} = a_1 \hat L y_1 + a_2 \hat L y_2.
$$

Edit: Effectively, the DE is linear if it is a sum of terms where each term contains only one factor of ##y(x)## or its derivatives. It does not matter whether the coefficients are constant in the independent variable or not.

Edit 2: So the general linear ODE of order ##n## is of the form
$$
\sum_{k = 0}^n f_k(x) \frac{d^ky}{dx^k} = g(x).
$$
The ODE is homogeneous if ##g(x) = 0## and otherwise inhomogeneous.

Can you show me an example of a non-linear equation and can you show me (using the operator) why it isn't linear, please?

Last edited:
An example of a non-linear differential equation would be
$$
y'(x) + y(x)^2 = 0.
$$
It is non-linear because
$$
[y_1(x)+y_2(x)]' + [y_1(x)+y_2(x)]^2 \neq [y_1'(x) + y_1(x)^2] + [y_2'(x) + y_2(x)^2].
$$

Orodruin said:
An example of a non-linear differential equation would be
$$
y'(x) + y(x)^2 = 0.
$$
It is non-linear because
$$
[y_1(x)+y_2(x)]' + [y_1(x)+y_2(x)]^2 \neq [y_1'(x) + y_1(x)^2] + [y_2'(x) + y_2(x)^2].
$$
Why am I so confused...?

Last edited:
Your differential operator cannot depend on the dependent function itself. Furthermore, you cannot write
$$
y'(x) + y(x)^2 = y(x) [d/dx + y(x)],
$$
the derivative needs to act on ##y(x)##. You could write it as
$$
[d/dx + y(x)]y(x),
$$
but it is still not linear because the first parenthesis depends on ##y(x)##.

Orodruin said:
Your differential operator cannot depend on the dependent function itself. Furthermore, you cannot write
$$
y'(x) + y(x)^2 = y(x) [d/dx + y(x)],
$$
the derivative needs to act on ##y(x)##. You could write it as
$$
[d/dx + y(x)]y(x),
$$
but it is still not linear because the first parenthesis depends on ##y(x)##.

I am sorry. I don't understand any of this.Hello,

First of all my apologies. Turns out I never had the subject of operators yet. After watching a video with an explanation I think it is now totally clear on what a linear operator is defined as and how to apply an operator to a function.

I see now what you were saying in the beginning. I might've been doing alternative math all this time, which is never a good idea because it's fictional.

Thanks for the help ;-)

-Yael

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of linearity in differential equations?

The concept of linearity in differential equations states that if a function satisfies a certain differential equation, then any constant multiple of that function also satisfies the same differential equation. In simpler terms, it means that the input and output of a differential equation can be directly related through a linear relationship.

2. How can linearity be determined in a given differential equation?

Linearity can be determined in a given differential equation by checking if the equation satisfies the superposition principle and homogeneity property. If the equation satisfies both of these properties, then it is considered to be a linear differential equation.

3. What is the significance of linearity in solving differential equations?

Linearity is significant in solving differential equations because it allows for the use of powerful mathematical techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the variation of parameters method. These techniques can only be applied to linear differential equations, making it easier to find solutions.

4. How is the linearity of a differential equation related to its order?

The linearity of a differential equation is not dependent on its order. Both first-order and higher-order differential equations can be linear or nonlinear. The order only refers to the highest derivative present in the equation, while linearity refers to the relationship between the input and output.

5. Can a nonlinear differential equation be transformed into a linear one?

Yes, a nonlinear differential equation can be transformed into a linear one by using a suitable change of variables or by applying a linearizing transformation. However, this may not always be possible or practical, and it may result in a more complex equation to solve.