• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Linearity Question

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
bon

Homework Statement

Ok so basically I have two differential equations:

1) x'' + wx' + w^2 x = sin5t

2) del squared u = 0

The first is obviously just the equation for the driven harmonic oscillator. The second is Laplace's equation.

The question asks: In both cases, is the linearity believed to be exact, or the result of an approximation (if so, say what it is). In the case of a second order PDE what are the properties of solutions that follow when it is (a) linear (b) linear and homogeneous

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so

Is the linearity exact in both cases? im pretty sure it is in the ODE case, right? Is it also in the PDE case (i.e. 2) ? ) when is linearity not exact?

For the second question:

I guess that when the PDE is homogeneous and linear then linear sums of solutions are also solutions, but what about when it is just linear?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If w is a constant, or a function of t but not x, then yes, both equations are "exactly" linear.

If an equation is linear but not homogeneous, then the set of all solutions forms a "linear manifold". A linear manifold in, say, R3 can be thought of as a plane or line that does NOT contain the origin. If u and v are two vectors in a linear manifold, there always exists a specific vector, w, say, such that u- w and v- w are in the same subspace. u+ v is NOT necessarily in that linear manifold but (u- w)+ (v- w)+ w is. That means that every solution to a linear, non-homogeneous differential equation can be written as a solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation plus a single solution to the entire equation (the "w" in the example above).