Linearization of f(x,y) = sqrt(29 - 4x^2 - 4y^2) at (2,1)

In summary, the linearization of the function ƒ(x,y) = sqrt(29 - 4x2 - 4y2) at the point (2,1) is L(x,y) = -8x - 4y + 29. However, this result may be incorrect and further evaluation is recommended.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

Find the linearization of the function ƒ(x,y) = sqrt(29 - 4x2 - 4y2) at the point (2,1)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Point (a,b)
L(x,y) = Linearization
L(x,y) = ƒ(a,b) + ƒx(a,b)(x-a) + ƒy(a,b)(y-b)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
ƒ(2,1) = 3

ƒx(x,y) = [1/2⋅-8x]/[sqrt(29-4x2-4y2]
ƒx(2,1) = -8/3

ƒy(x,y) = [1/2⋅-8y]/[sqrt(29-4x2-4y2]
ƒy(2,1) = -4/3

L(x,y) = 3 + [-8/3(x-2)] + [-4/3(y-1)]
= 3 + (-8/3x + 16/3) + (-4/3y+4/3)
= 3 -8/3x +16/3 - 4/3y + 4/3
Simplifying gives me
= -8x - 4y + 29

Which is wrong according to my Webwork

please any help would be amazing.

Physics news on Phys.org
3 -8/3x +16/3 - 4/3y + 4/3 gives (-8x - 4y + 29)/3 You can't just strike the /3 ...

i multiplied everything by 3, can i not do that?

Nope: f = x + 2 is something quite different from f = 3x + 6 !

Lean back a little, relax, take a breath or a break and it'll be obvious...

:) If you don't believe me you can always evaluate f(2.1,1) and f(2,1.1) on a calculator or a spreadsheet...

Thank you BvU appreciate the help, more questions may be on the way, its been a rough day.

What is the linearization problem?

The linearization problem is a mathematical concept that involves approximating a nonlinear function with a linear function in order to simplify calculations and predictions. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why is the linearization problem important?

The linearization problem is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations for complex systems by simplifying them into linear equations. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of these systems.

How is the linearization problem solved?

The linearization problem is typically solved by using a technique called linearization, which involves finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the nonlinear function. This slope is then used to create a linear approximation of the function.

What are the limitations of the linearization problem?

The linearization problem has some limitations, as it is only an approximation of a nonlinear function and may not accurately represent the behavior of the system in all cases. Additionally, it is only applicable to functions that are differentiable at the point of linearization.

What are some real-life applications of the linearization problem?

The linearization problem has many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, in engineering to model the behavior of complex systems, and in economics to predict market trends. It is also used in computer science and data analysis to create linear models for large datasets.