Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearization, some doubts

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    Linearization, some doubts :)

I was working on some Non-Linear PDE's but was quite doubtful about some calculus involved,

I think these equations are right but i felt i could get a consult from someone good in
    calculus the confusion being the differentiation of a variable that belongs in a gradient of that variable.

[tex]\delta w[/tex] is a test function (just another variable)

[tex] w[/tex] is a scalar variable

I want to linearize this, [tex]\intop_{\Omega}\nabla\delta w\cdot\left(\exp\left(\frac{-\varphi }{U_{t}}\right)\nabla w\right)}[/tex]

Linearization w.r.t [tex]w[/tex],

\frac{\partial\intop_{\Omega}\nabla\delta w\cdot\left(\exp\left(\frac{-\varphi}{U_{t}}\right)\nabla w\right)}{\partial w}\triangle w & = & \underset{_{\Omega}}{\int}\left[\frac{d}{dl}\left(\nabla\delta\left(w+l\triangle w\right)\cdot\left(\exp\left(\frac{-\varphi}{U_{t}}\right)\nabla\left(w+l\triangle w\right)\right)\right)\right]_{l=0}\\
    & = & \underset{_{\Omega}}{\int}\nabla\delta w\cdot\left(\exp\left(\frac{-\varphi}{U_{t}}\right)\nabla\triangle w\right)\end{eqnarray*}[/tex]

Thanks a lot :)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted