Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linearized general relativity problem

1. May 31, 2006 #1
    I've got a problem where I'm not sure my solution is true!
    I have to proof that given the vacuum einstein's equation and the lorenz gauge condition imply that the stress energy tensor that generates the gravitational waves must have a vanishing divergence.

The vacuum einstein's equation is given by [tex]-\partial_{\alpha}\partial^{\alpha}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = 16\pi T^{\mu\nu}[/tex], and the lorentz condition is given by [tex]\partial^{\nu}\bar{h}_{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]

Now if I just take the divergence to [itex]\nu[/tex] of this equation I obtain

[tex]-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\alpha}\partial^{\alpha}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = 16\pi \partial_{\nu}T^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Since we can swap the order of partial differentiation this becomes:

[tex]-\partial_{\alpha}\partial^{\alpha}\left(\partial_{\nu}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu}\right)= 16\pi \partial_{\nu}T^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Now what I want to proof is that [tex]\partial_{\nu}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = \partial^{\nu}\bar{h}_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

I think that is true because [tex]\partial_{\gamma}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = - \partial^{\gamma}\bar{h}_{\mu\nu}[/tex]. So if I just replace [itex]\gamma[/itex] by [itex]\nu[/itex] this should imply that the divergence of T vanishes.
    But I don't know for sure if I could just replace [itex]\gamma[/itex] by [itex]\nu[/itex]! :frown:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted