1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearized general relativity problem

1. May 31, 2006 #1
    I've got a problem where I'm not sure my solution is true!
    I have to proof that given the vacuum einstein's equation and the lorenz gauge condition imply that the stress energy tensor that generates the gravitational waves must have a vanishing divergence.

The vacuum einstein's equation is given by [tex]-\partial_{\alpha}\partial^{\alpha}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = 16\pi T^{\mu\nu}[/tex], and the lorentz condition is given by [tex]\partial^{\nu}\bar{h}_{\mu\nu} = 0[/tex]

Now if I just take the divergence to [itex]\nu[/tex] of this equation I obtain

[tex]-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\alpha}\partial^{\alpha}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = 16\pi \partial_{\nu}T^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Since we can swap the order of partial differentiation this becomes:

[tex]-\partial_{\alpha}\partial^{\alpha}\left(\partial_{\nu}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu}\right)= 16\pi \partial_{\nu}T^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Now what I want to proof is that [tex]\partial_{\nu}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = \partial^{\nu}\bar{h}_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

I think that is true because [tex]\partial_{\gamma}\bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = - \partial^{\gamma}\bar{h}_{\mu\nu}[/tex]. So if I just replace [itex]\gamma[/itex] by [itex]\nu[/itex] this should imply that the divergence of T vanishes.
    But I don't know for sure if I could just replace [itex]\gamma[/itex] by [itex]\nu[/itex]! :frown:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?