Linearizing a Relation: How to Create a Best Fit Linear Line in Logger Pro

In summary, the conversation discusses how to linearize a graph and draw a best fit linear line. The suggestion is made to take the logarithm of the data and plot it, and the possibility of using a linear regression or multiple linear regression is mentioned. The idea of finding a function f to make the plot (y, f(x)) linearizable is also brought up.
ChanYoung Park
lq5ySf3.png

Hi! Above is a screenshot of logger pro that I'm currently using.
I need to linearise this graph and draw a best fit linear line but I have no clue how to do it. What should I do?
The table on the left shows the raw data. The first column is showing the values for x-axis, and the second is for y-axis. According to my hypothesis, the y-value should initially increase as x-value increases from 0; the y-value is then expected to decrease to zero as x-value increases further.

Attachments

• lq5ySf3.png
    lq5ySf3.png
    20 KB · Views: 2,533
Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the logarithm of the data and plotting them again to see if you can come up with a "linear" line.

So, plot:
  • log x vs. y
  • log x vs. log y
  • x vs. log y
From my experience, that's how you would "linearize" data.

If you really want a linear estimator, even though you say that logically it is nonlinear, then you can do a simple linear regression of the (x,y) data. There are many programs to do that.

If you want a linear regression estimator that is not linear, but accounts for the logical relationship, then you can do a multiple linear regression of the data (x, x2, y). I think you will be more satisfied with the result and it will account for the logical relationship that you believe.

The auto-fit line in your graph has done a linear regression on the data (x, x2, x3, x4, x5, y). I think that goes too far and may be unnecessary, but it is more accurate. Here is what I get from y = 40.79166667 +0.67583333*x -0.01772619 *x2.
R_multLinReg.png

Attachments

• R_multLinReg.png
    R_multLinReg.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 972
Last edited:
Let me see if I understood what you are looking for, please let me know : You want to find f with (y,f(x)) ( where {(y,x)} is your given data ) so that the plot {(y,f(x))} will be linearizable in the sense that it will pass some measure of linear goodness of fit? The plot seemed a bit like an inverted parabola , i.e., ## y-y_0 =c\sqrt x ##, so I considered the linearization ##(x, y_0+c\sqrt x)##. Am I on the right track (finding the right values for ##y_o, c## )?

Hey, sorry if I complicated things unnecessarily ; wouldn't be the first time :( . Please
ask a question if so.

1. What is linearization and why is it important in scientific data analysis?

Linearization is the process of transforming a non-linear relationship between two variables into a linear one. This is important in scientific data analysis because linear relationships are easier to interpret and can be used to make more accurate predictions.

2. How do I create a best fit linear line in Logger Pro?

To create a best fit linear line in Logger Pro, you first need to import your data into the software. Then, click on the "Analyze" menu and select "Curve Fit." Choose "Linear" from the list of options and click "Fit Curve." The software will automatically generate a best fit linear line for your data.

3. What is the significance of the correlation coefficient in linearization?

The correlation coefficient, also known as r-value, measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables. In linearization, a higher r-value indicates a stronger linear relationship, while a lower r-value indicates a weaker or non-linear relationship.

4. Can linearization be applied to all types of data?

No, linearization is only applicable to data that shows a non-linear relationship between two variables. If the data is already linear, then there is no need for linearization.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using linearization in data analysis?

One limitation of linearization is that it assumes a linear relationship between the two variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, linearization does not work well with data that has a large amount of variability or extreme outliers.