1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearizing quadratic equation

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

basically im suppose to linearize d=vit + 1/2at^2 into d/t^2 vs 1/t, t/d vs t^2/d and 1/d vs 1/t
    and its asking which graphs would be linear and non-linear.

2. Relevant equations

d=vit + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

all i know is that in order to linearize this i need to make it into the format y=mx+b from there i can see which variables alternate and which remain constant.
    now im confused on how im suppose to get d/t^2 vs 1/t for the first one so i started to solve for t but i ended up needing to use the quadratic equation since its ax^2 + bx + c=0 but that really didnt help me since i coudlnt isolate "d" again. So basically im kinda lost on how to manipulate this formula.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

For the first part, I'd let y = d/t^2, let x = 1/t. Can you get the d and t equation into an equation with y and x... substitute appropriately and manipulate the formulas.
  4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    If you divide the equation by t^2 you get

[tex]\frac{d}{t^2} = \frac{v_i}{t} + \frac{1}{2}a[/tex]

If you wanted that against 1/t, basically make x a substitution of 1/t, you would have a graph that looked pretty linear with a slope of vi.

Do you see how it works?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?