Linearizing the Lugiato-Lefever Partial Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of anzatz and a first order treatment to simplify an equation. However, there may be a loss of accuracy in taking out terms quadratic in ##\psi_1## and it is important to double check the validity of assumptions. There may be a mistake in the first equation, and it is recommended to double check calculations for accuracy.
BearShark
Homework Statement
Given the Lugiato-Lefever equation, linearize the equation and determine the dynamics near a stationary solution by looking for a stationary solution with a small perturbation.
Relevant Equations
The Lugiato-Lefever Equation is given by:
$$ \frac {d\psi} {dt} = -(1 + i \alpha)\psi + \frac {i} {2} \frac {d^2\psi} {dx^2} + i * \psi^2 \bar \psi + F $$

It can be shown that when looking for stationary solutions in both time and space, the following is a solution:
$$ \psi_e = \frac F {1 + i * (\alpha - \rho)} $$

When ##\rho## is the solution of the polynomial:
$$ F ^ 2 = (1 + (\rho - \alpha) ^ 2)\rho $$
I started by substituting the following anzatz:
$$ \psi = \psi_e + \psi_1 $$

When ## |\psi_1| \ll 1 ##. Substituting the above into the equation yields:
$$ \frac {d\psi_1} {dt} = -(1 + i\alpha)\psi_1 + \frac i 2 \frac {\partial ^ 2 \psi _1 } {\partial x ^ 2 } + i (\bar \psi_1 \psi_1 ^2 + \bar \psi_e \psi _1 ^2 + 2\bar\psi_e \psi_e \psi_1 + \bar \psi_1 \psi_e ^2 + 2\bar\psi_1 \psi_e \psi_1) $$

I am interested in a first order treatment, so i will take out the terms quadratic in ##\psi_1##:
$$ \frac {d\psi_1} {dt} = -(1 + i\alpha)\psi_1 + \frac i 2 \frac {\partial ^ 2 \psi _1 } {\partial x ^ 2 } + i ( 2\bar\psi_e \psi_e \psi_1 + \bar \psi_1 \psi_e ^2) $$

I know ##\psi_e## as it is the stationary solution from above, and for ##\psi_1## I can look for solutions of the form:
$$ \psi_1 = e^{i\omega t}*(a * e^{ikx} + \bar b * e^{-ikx})$$

After doing that and equating the coefficients of the backwards and forwards propagating plane waves, I arrived at the following equations:
$$ i\omega \bar b = \bar b (-(1+i\alpha) - \frac i 2 k^2 + i2\bar\psi_e\psi_e) + \bar a (i\bar\psi_1\psi_e^2) $$

$$ i\omega a = a(-(1+i\alpha) - \frac i 2 k^2 + i2\bar\psi_e\psi_e) + b(i\bar\psi_`1\psi_e^2) $$

This is almost what I wanted, but the first equation is on the conjugates of a and b rather than on a and b so I am not sure how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I would like to provide some feedback on your work so far. First of all, it is great that you have started by substituting an anzatz to simplify the equation. This is a common approach in physics and can often lead to more manageable equations.

I also appreciate that you are interested in a first order treatment, as this is a good starting point for analyzing a problem. However, it is important to note that taking out terms quadratic in ##\psi_1## may lead to a loss of accuracy in your calculations. It may be worth considering a higher order treatment if possible.

Moving on to your solutions for ##\psi_1##, it is important to note that you have assumed a specific form for this function. While this may work for some problems, it may not be applicable to all situations. It is always a good idea to check the validity of your assumptions and make sure they are appropriate for the problem at hand.

Finally, in regards to your equations, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure that the equations are consistent. It seems like there may be a mistake in the first equation, which is why you are getting conjugates of a and b instead of just a and b. I would recommend going back and double checking your work to ensure accuracy.

Overall, your approach is a good starting point, but it is important to be mindful of the assumptions and calculations involved. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Lugiato-Lefever Partial Differential Equation (LLE PDE)?

The Lugiato-Lefever Partial Differential Equation (LLE PDE) is a nonlinear partial differential equation that describes the dynamics of light in a nonlinear optical resonator. It is commonly used to model the behavior of optical systems, such as lasers and microresonators.

2. Why is it important to linearize the LLE PDE?

Linearizing the LLE PDE allows for easier analysis and understanding of the system's behavior. It also helps in finding analytical solutions and making predictions about the system's behavior under different conditions.

3. How is the LLE PDE linearized?

The LLE PDE can be linearized by assuming small perturbations around a steady-state solution and then linearizing the resulting equations. This leads to a linear equation that can be solved using standard techniques.

4. What are the applications of linearizing the LLE PDE?

Linearizing the LLE PDE has many applications in the field of optics and photonics. It is used to study the stability of optical systems, analyze the effects of noise and perturbations, and design new optical devices and systems.

5. What are the challenges in linearizing the LLE PDE?

One of the main challenges in linearizing the LLE PDE is finding an appropriate steady-state solution to linearize around. This can be difficult for complex systems and may require numerical methods. Additionally, the linearized equations may not accurately capture the behavior of the system in the nonlinear regime.