1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearizing V=vw+(vo-vw)e^-kt

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone!

I have an issue with my physical chemistry lab. They ask us to rearrange the fallowing equation

v=vw + (v0 - vw)e^-kt
    where v is velocity and t is time, vw is a constant

They also ask which quantity would be plotted as ordinate and as absissa. We have to indicated the parameter of the slope and the intercept. Now once I have a equation I'll be able to find all those things but I can't seem to get to that equation.

I was thinking of plotting it for velocity and time. We also need to be able to figure out k from the graph

I tried for a while using the natural log of the function to lower the exponent and remove the e but I still cant seem to get a linear equation in which I'll be able to extract m and b.

As you can see I'm a chemistry student, not very good with anything physics related, and sorry for the broken English, it's my second language :)

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi AlexLM! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Try writing it as v - vw = (v0 - vw)e-kt :wink:

(and btw, your English is fine :smile:)

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    Hi tiny-tim! Thanks a lot for the answer!

So basically if I graph for ln(v-vw)=ln(v0-vw) -kt I could use ln(v-vw) as my ordinate and t as my absissa. Then b would be ln(v0-vw) and the slope would be -k?

Does that make sense?

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yup! :smile:

(oh, and it's "abscissa", from the Latin "abscindere" :wink:)

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    If you do it on a semi-log plot, you don't actually have to calculate ln (v - v0). Your graphics package should have semi-log plot capabilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook