1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearly independent vectors

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that A, B, and C are not linearly independent. Then show how the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex] can be computed, up to a common factor, from the scalar products of these vectors with each other.

Hint: Suppose that there are non-zero values of the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex]'s that satisfy [tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C}}=0.[/tex] Then, taking the dot product of both sides of this equation with A will yield a set of equations that can be solved for the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex]'s.
    2. Relevant equations

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C}}=0.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Based off the instructions and hint I think they are asking me to solve for the [tex]\alpha[/tex]s of the following three equations:

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}A}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}A}}=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}B}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}B}}=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}C}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}C}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}C}}=0.[/tex]

Or, they could be asking me to solve for [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex] of these 3 equations:

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}A}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}A}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}A}})=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}B}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}B}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}B}})=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}C}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}C}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}C}})=0.[/tex]

How do I solve for alpha? Matrices? Substitution? Elimination?
    I'm not really sure what they mean by a common factor. Insight is always appreciated.

*Edited: Thanks for pointing that out Mark44!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think the last sentence should say "... a set of equations that can be solved for ...
    Carrying out the multiplication in the first equation (and changing the alphai to ci gives this equation
    c1|A|2 + c2A.B + c3A.C = 0

Do the same for the other two equations. This gives you three equations in the unknowns c1, c2, and c3. This system of equations can be solved by a number of ways, including elimination or using matrices.
    With regard to "common factor," suppose that 2A + B - 3C = 0. In the case, the constants are 2, 1, and -3. It will also be true that 4A + 2B - 6C = 0. In this case the constants are 4, 2, and -6. This triple of constants has a common factor of 2. Any triple of constants of the form 2t, t, -3t will work, and t is the common factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook