Linearly polarized light homework problem

In summary, you need to rotate the polarization direction of some linearly polarized light by an angle φ. That is, the light is initially linearly polarized along some direction (let's call it the y direction), and you need to change it so that the polarization direction is φ away from the y direction. To do this, you have two polarizers available. The maximum intensity is achieved if you orient the first polarizer at an angle φ=θ/2 from the initial polarization direction.
2Pac
You need to rotate the polarization direction of some linearly polarized light by an angle φ. That is, the light is initially linearly polarized along some direction (let's call it the y direction), and you need to change it so that the polarization direction is φ away from the y direction.
In order to do this, you have two polarizers available. Prove that in order to get the maximum final intensity, you should choose to orient first polarizer at an angle φ=θ/2 from the initial polarization direction. (Note that to achieve the desired final polarization, you have no choice about how to orient the second polarizer.)

Anyone care to take a stab at this? I am unsure of how to go about proving this. Any help to point me in the right direction would be appriciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if you can find a formula somewhere (I won't give it away so soon!) that gives you the percentage of light transmitted through a polarizing filter as a function of its angle relative to the polarization direction of the incident light beam. That should prove quite useful in answering the question. If you need an extra hint, just ask. Good luck!

yes the intensity I=I*cos^2(x), i still do not see the steps used to prove the given true.

Right, this will involve some trickery with trigonometry formulas. Here goes.

Suppose we call the deflection angle of the first filter [tex]\theta[/tex] and the deflection angle of the second filter relative to the first filter [tex]\varphi - \theta[/tex], so they add up to [tex]\varphi[/tex]. Now we can set up a formula describing the intensity of the light beam that has passed through both polarisation filters. The intensity of the beam as it has passed through the first filter is:

[tex]I_{1} = I_{0} \cdot \cos^{2}(\theta)[/tex].

For the second filter we get the equation:

[tex]I_{2} = I_{1} \cdot \cos^{2}(\varphi - \theta)[/tex].

Combining them yields:

[tex]I_{2} = I_{0} \cdot \cos^{2}(\theta) \cdot \cos^{2}(\varphi - \theta)[/tex].

We need [tex]I_{2}[/tex] to be a maximum by choosing a suitable [tex]\theta[/tex]. Because [tex]0 \le \varphi \le \pi / 2[/tex] (can you see why?), this amounts to maximising [tex]\cos^{2}(\theta) \cdot \cos^{2}(\varphi - \theta)[/tex] on the interval [tex]0 \le \varphi \le \pi / 2[/tex]. This maximum can be found in several different ways. I'll just differentiate the whole lot here and set the result to zero to get:

[tex]-2 \cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)\cdot \cos^{2}(\varphi - \theta) + 2 \cos(\varphi - \theta) \sin(\varphi - \theta)\cdot \cos^{2}(\theta) = 0[/tex]

After a lot of rewriting (I'll let you check it) we get:

[tex]\tan(\theta) = \tan(\varphi - \theta)[/tex].

The only possibility for these tangents to be equal is for their arguments to be equal. This means that [tex]\varphi = 2 \theta[/tex], and thus that both relative deviation angles used in the setup must be equal.

Phew, I hope I didn't leave a typo in there.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. yea that makes perfect sense.

1. What is linearly polarized light?

Linearly polarized light refers to a type of light that has its electric field oscillating in a single plane. This means that the waves of light are all moving in the same direction, creating a uniform and linear pattern.

2. How is linearly polarized light created?

Linearly polarized light can be created through various methods, such as passing unpolarized light through a polarizing filter, using a polarizing prism, or reflecting light off of a non-metallic surface at a specific angle.

3. What is the significance of linearly polarized light in research and technology?

Linearly polarized light has many practical applications, including in optical communication, 3D movie projection, and satellite communication. It is also used in scientific research, such as in studying the properties of materials and in medical imaging techniques.

4. How does the direction of polarization affect the properties of linearly polarized light?

The direction of polarization can affect the intensity and orientation of linearly polarized light. When the direction of polarization is parallel to a polarizing filter, it will pass through with maximum intensity. If they are perpendicular, no light will pass through.

5. Can linearly polarized light be converted back to unpolarized light?

Yes, linearly polarized light can be converted back to unpolarized light through a process called depolarization. This can occur through scattering, reflection, or passing through certain materials. However, it is difficult to completely depolarize light once it has been polarized.