How can I design a linear to rotational crank mechanism without using gears?

In summary: If that's the case, then you might be able to use a custom crank that has a longer stroke than the standard ones. However, it would still be interesting to see if there are any other ideas out there.
D9 XTC
I'm looking for a crank that can give me linear movement to rotation (not the other way around).

There is a component that I'm aware of called a uni-directional drive that turns rotation movement in either direction into movement in only on direction... stick a rack in the mix and there is linear movement to rotational. The only thing is is that I don't want to have to deal with gears.

Anyone have any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
D9 XTC said:
I'm looking for a crank that can give me linear movement to rotation (not the other way around).

There is a component that I'm aware of called a uni-directional drive that turns rotation movement in either direction into movement in only on direction... stick a rack in the mix and there is linear movement to rotational. The only thing is is that I don't want to have to deal with gears.

Anyone have any ideas?

Isn't clear what you want that makes a conventional crank unsuitable. Do you want to prevent the rotating part from driving the linear part? Is the linear movement in one direction or reciprocating? Do you need it to be self-starting in any position? A more linear force-torque relationship?

My bad

For my application the linear part will drive rotational part. There's no need to prevent the rotational part from driving the linear part but it would be interesting to see if you have ideas for that. The linear movement has to be reciprocating for the crank to work. Not sure what you mean by self starting in any position and linear forve-torque relationship.

The reason why I think a crank with the usual config won't work is because the speeds I'm running are relatively low. Seems like the crank may not be able to rotate the shaft it's connected to the same direction all of the time.

Last edited:
D9 XTC said:
The reason why I think a crank with the usual config won't work is because the speeds I'm running are relatively low. Seems like the crank may not be able to rotate the shaft it's connected to the same direction all of the time.

Ah, gotcha. That's what I meant by "self starting", which is a term I just made up :P

How about the uni-directional drive, driven by a crank that has such a long stroke that it never completes a full revolution, so it never hits TDC or BDC where it might get stuck.

I suppose you have some arbitrary input force that can't be synchronized with the shaft's angle the way it is in an engine.

1. What is a liner to rotational crank?

A liner to rotational crank is a mechanism that converts linear motion into rotational motion. It consists of a cylindrical liner that moves back and forth along a fixed axis, connected to a crankshaft that rotates as the liner moves.

2. How does a liner to rotational crank work?

The liner to rotational crank works by utilizing the linear motion of the liner to rotate the crankshaft. As the liner moves back and forth, it pushes and pulls on the connecting rod which in turn rotates the crankshaft.

3. What are the applications of a liner to rotational crank?

A liner to rotational crank is commonly used in engines and machines to convert the reciprocating motion of pistons into rotational motion for power generation. It is also used in pumps, compressors, and other mechanical devices.

4. What are the advantages of a liner to rotational crank?

The main advantage of a liner to rotational crank is its ability to convert linear motion into rotational motion with minimal energy loss. It is also compact and simple in design, making it easy to manufacture and maintain.

5. Are there any limitations to using a liner to rotational crank?

One limitation of a liner to rotational crank is its limited range of motion, as it can only convert linear motion in one direction into rotational motion. It also requires precise alignment and lubrication to function properly, which can increase maintenance costs.