1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lines and planes in space

1. May 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Find the distance betwwen the parallel palnes:

a) x + y + 2z = 4 and 2x + 2y + 4z +11 = 0
    b) ax + by + cz + d1 = 0 and ax + by + cz + d2 = 0

2.Find the equations of the two planes which are parallel to 2x - y + 2z = 5 and 2 unit from it

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think i should find any point on one of the plane and using that to find the perpendicular line between two planes which will give the distance between them, but how can i find a point on the plane from the equation given to me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

Pick any x and y you want, plug them into the equation for the plane and then solve for z, and you will have a point on the plane.

4. May 1, 2009 #3
    oh, so if there isnt any restriction then i can choose any value of x and y on the plane?
    Thankyou :)

5. May 1, 2009 #4

danago

Gold Member

Well since no restrictions have been made on the planes, they "stretch" over every possible x and y value. Its a bit like a line in the x-y plane; Unless its domain has been restricted, it will cross over every single real x value and have a corrosponding y value there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook