What is the distance between two parallel planes?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance between parallel planes and the equations of two parallel planes. It is suggested to find a point on one of the planes by choosing any values for x and y and solving for z, as there are no restrictions on the planes. The parallel planes "stretch" over every possible x and y value.
385sk117

Homework Statement

1. Find the distance betwwen the parallel palnes:

a) x + y + 2z = 4 and 2x + 2y + 4z +11 = 0
b) ax + by + cz + d1 = 0 and ax + by + cz + d2 = 0

2.Find the equations of the two planes which are parallel to 2x - y + 2z = 5 and 2 unit from it

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i should find any point on one of the plane and using that to find the perpendicular line between two planes which will give the distance between them, but how can i find a point on the plane from the equation given to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick any x and y you want, plug them into the equation for the plane and then solve for z, and you will have a point on the plane.

oh, so if there isn't any restriction then i can choose any value of x and y on the plane?
Thankyou :)

385sk117 said:
oh, so if there isn't any restriction then i can choose any value of x and y on the plane?
Thankyou :)

Well since no restrictions have been made on the planes, they "stretch" over every possible x and y value. Its a bit like a line in the x-y plane; Unless its domain has been restricted, it will cross over every single real x value and have a corrosponding y value there.

1. What are lines and planes in space?

Lines and planes in space are two fundamental concepts in geometry. A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions. A plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions.

2. How are lines and planes defined?

In mathematics, lines are defined by two points and planes are defined by three non-collinear points. These points are used to determine the direction and orientation of the line or plane.

3. What is the relationship between lines and planes?

A line and a plane can intersect in three different ways: they can be parallel, intersect at a single point, or intersect at multiple points. The intersection of a line and a plane is a point or a line, depending on the orientation of the line and plane.

4. How are lines and planes represented in equations?

Lines can be represented by the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) or the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)). Planes can be represented by the general form (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0) or the normal form (Ax + By + Cz = D), where A, B, and C represent the coefficients of x, y, and z, and D is a constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of lines and planes in space?

Lines and planes in space have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. Examples include using planes to represent the surfaces of objects in 3D modeling, using lines to determine the shortest distance between two points in navigation, and using planes to calculate the trajectory of a projectile in physics.