Equation of Plane & Line Passing Through Points: Find E & Dist.

In summary, the equation of the plane p which passes through the three points A 1,0,1), B(2,−1,1) and C(0,3,2) isx=A1+0.5By=−1+0.5Cand the line which passes through the point D(−1,1,1) and which is perpendicular to the plane p hasx=−1−0.5Dy=1+0.5D
ronho1234
(a) Find the equation of the plane p which passes through the three points
(A 1,0,1), B(2,−1,1) .and C(0,3,2) .

(b) Find a scalar parametric form of the equation for the line which passes
through the point D(−1,1,1) and which is perpendicular to the plane p.

(c) Let E be the point where the line  intersects the plane p. Find, in the
scalar parametric equation for the line, the value of the parameter which
corresponds to the point E and hence find the co-ordinates of this point.

(d) What is the closest distance of the point D from the plane p?

i've done most of the question but I'm not quite sure I've got the right answer. And i don't understand what it means by scalar parametric form in part b, does the question just want me to write it as three separate linear equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ronho1234! :smile:
ronho1234 said:

… i don't understand what it means by scalar parametric form in part b, does the question just want me to write it as three separate linear equations?

yes

"scalar" simply means that you use an "obvious" parameter, instead of a (perfectly valid but) stupid :yuck: one …

eg x = t, y = 3t + 5

as opposed to x = t2cosht, y = 3t2cosht + 5 :wink:

ronho1234 said:
Well, I don't believe I agree with tiny-tim that it is a difference between "reasonable" and "stupid" parameterizations! both x= t, y= 3t+5 and [itex]x= t^2cosh(t)[/itex], [itex]y= 3t^2 cosh(t)+ 5[/itex] are perfectly good scalar parameterizations.

The point is that the give three scalar (numerical) equations for x and y as opposed to the vector equation [itex]\vec{r}(x,y)= t\vec{i}+ (3t+ 5)\vec{j}[/itex].

You understand, I hope, that these are NOT the solution to your problem stated above which is three dimensional. For that you need to know that the line through point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex], perpendicular to plane Ax+ By+ CZ= D has scalar parametric equations [itex]x= At+ x_0[/itex], [itex]y= Bt+ y_0[/itex], [itex]z= Ct+ z_0[/itex].

tiny-tim said:
hi ronho1234! :smile:

yes

"scalar" simply means that you use an "obvious" parameter, instead of a (perfectly valid but) stupid :yuck: one …

eg x = t, y = 3t + 5

as opposed to x = t2cosht, y = 3t2cosht + 5 :wink:

HallsofIvy said:
Well, I don't believe I agree with tiny-tim that it is a difference between "reasonable" and "stupid" parameterizations! both x= t, y= 3t+5 and [itex]x= t^2cosh(t)[/itex], [itex]y= 3t^2 cosh(t)+ 5[/itex] are perfectly good scalar parameterizations.

But some parameterizations really are better than others in a given setting. Tiny Tim's second parameterization doesn't give the whole line that his first one does in his example.

HallsofIvy said:
… both x= t, y= 3t+5 and [itex]x= t^2cosh(t)[/itex], [itex]y= 3t^2 cosh(t)+ 5[/itex] are perfectly good scalar parameterizations.

i'm not convinced …

my guess is that, by "scalar", the question means "linear"​

(as in "scalar multiplication" :wink:)

No, scalar simply means "number".

(More generally, in linear algebra, a "scalar" is a member of the underlying field of the vector space.)

1. What is the equation of a plane passing through two points?

The equation of a plane passing through two points, P1(x1, y1, z1) and P2(x2, y2, z2), can be written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant. To find the values of A, B, C, and D, you can use the cross product of the vectors formed by the two points.

2. How do you find the equation of a line passing through two points?

The equation of a line passing through two points, P1(x1, y1) and P2(x2, y2), can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), and then substitute the values of m and one of the given points into the equation to solve for b.

3. How do you find the distance between a point and a line?

To find the distance between a point P(x0, y0) and a line Ax + By + C = 0, you can use the formula d = |Ax0 + By0 + C| / √(A² + B²), where A and B are the coefficients of x and y in the equation of the line. This formula is derived from the fact that the shortest distance between a point and a line is along a perpendicular line from the point to the line.

4. How do you find the equation of a line parallel to a given line passing through a given point?

To find the equation of a line parallel to a given line Ax + By + C = 0 and passing through a given point P(x0, y0), you can use the fact that parallel lines have the same slope. So, you can use the formula m = -A/B (where A and B are the coefficients of x and y in the given line) to find the slope of the parallel line. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line, y - y0 = m(x - x0), to write the equation of the parallel line.

5. Can you use the same method to find the equation of a line perpendicular to a given line passing through a given point?

No, you cannot use the same method as in question 4 to find the equation of a line perpendicular to a given line passing through a given point. This is because perpendicular lines have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other. So, the slope of the perpendicular line would be -1/m, where m is the slope of the given line. You can then use the point-slope form of a line, y - y0 = (-1/m)(x - x0), to write the equation of the perpendicular line.