1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linewidth from quality factor

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light with wavelength 500 nm is emitted from an electron in an atom behaving as a lightly damped simple harmonic oscillator with Q = 5 x 10^7. Find the linewidth (width to half-power points) in nm.

2. Relevant equations
    wavelength=c/f
    f=w/2pi
    Q=f/delta f=w/delta w

3. The attempt at a solution

So i started by calculating frequency and then angular frequency

f = 3E8/500E-9 = 6E14hz
    w = 6E14*2pi = 3.77E15 radians/sec

I did some research and found that Q=resonant frequency/(half-power bandwidth)
    But how do i work out the resonant frequency? The lecturer said it would take us maybe an hour or two to solve this problem so it seems to simple for the frequency i have to be the one required here.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2
    so you can find the line width as you have the Q-value as well as the frequency!

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    Yes but as i said at the bottom of the post, is the frequency i have the resonant frequency because this seems far too simple, the lecturer said it would take an hour or two but it's only taken 5 minutes... And he asks for it in nm but when i try the frequency i have i end up with 25m as the answer so it seems wrong to me.

5. Mar 7, 2016 #4
    Q=f(resonant)/delta f

=> delta f = 6E14/5E7 = 1.2E7 Hz
    lamda=c/f
    =>lamda = 3E8/1.2E7 = 25m

It just seems far too big when he's asking for it in nm :/

6. Mar 8, 2016 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Calculate the frequencies on the resonant curve which correspond to the half power and convert those frequencies to wavelength.

7. Mar 8, 2016 #6
    When damping is small, the resonant frequency is approximately equal to the natural frequency of the system, which is a frequency of unforced vibrations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted