Linewidth from quality factor

• Thread starter Aidden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the linewidth for a light with a 500 nm wavelength emitted from an electron in an atom is 1.2E7 Hz.
Aidden

Homework Statement

Light with wavelength 500 nm is emitted from an electron in an atom behaving as a lightly damped simple harmonic oscillator with Q = 5 x 10^7. Find the linewidth (width to half-power points) in nm.

Homework Equations

wavelength=c/f
f=w/2pi
Q=f/delta f=w/delta w

The Attempt at a Solution

So i started by calculating frequency and then angular frequency

f = 3E8/500E-9 = 6E14hz
w = 6E14*2pi = 3.77E15 radians/sec

I did some research and found that Q=resonant frequency/(half-power bandwidth)
But how do i work out the resonant frequency? The lecturer said it would take us maybe an hour or two to solve this problem so it seems to simple for the frequency i have to be the one required here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aidden said:
I did some research and found that Q=resonant frequency/(half-power bandwidth)

so you can find the line width as you have the Q-value as well as the frequency!

drvrm said:
so you can find the line width as you have the Q-value as well as the frequency!
Yes but as i said at the bottom of the post, is the frequency i have the resonant frequency because this seems far too simple, the lecturer said it would take an hour or two but it's only taken 5 minutes... And he asks for it in nm but when i try the frequency i have i end up with 25m as the answer so it seems wrong to me.

Q=f(resonant)/delta f

=> delta f = 6E14/5E7 = 1.2E7 Hz
lamda=c/f
=>lamda = 3E8/1.2E7 = 25m

It just seems far too big when he's asking for it in nm :/

Calculate the frequencies on the resonant curve which correspond to the half power and convert those frequencies to wavelength.

Aidden said:
Yes but as i said at the bottom of the post, is the frequency i have the resonant frequency because this seems far too simple, the lecturer said it would take an hour or two but it's only taken 5 minutes... And he asks for it in nm but when i try the frequency i have i end up with 25m as the answer so it seems wrong to me.
Aidden said:
lightly damped simple harmonic oscillator with Q = 5 x 10^7. Find the linewidth (width to half-power points) in nm.

When damping is small, the resonant frequency is approximately equal to the natural frequency of the system, which is a frequency of unforced vibrations.

What is linewidth?

Linewidth is a measure of the spectral width of a signal, typically in terms of frequency or wavelength. It is used to describe the range of frequencies or wavelengths present in a signal.

How is linewidth related to quality factor?

Linewidth and quality factor are inversely related. Quality factor is a measure of the sharpness of a resonant peak in a signal, while linewidth is a measure of the width of that peak. The higher the quality factor, the narrower the linewidth.

What is the significance of linewidth in spectroscopy?

Linewidth is an important factor in spectroscopy because it affects the resolution of a spectrum. A narrower linewidth allows for better discrimination of closely spaced spectral features, while a broader linewidth can cause overlapping or blurring of features.

How is linewidth measured?

Linewidth can be measured using a variety of techniques, depending on the type of signal being analyzed. For example, in optical spectroscopy, linewidth can be measured using a Fabry-Perot interferometer or by analyzing the shape of a spectral peak. In nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, linewidth is measured by analyzing the decay rate of a resonance signal.

What factors influence linewidth?

Linewidth can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of signal being analyzed, the temperature and pressure of the environment, and any interactions or collisions between particles in the system. Additionally, the quality factor of a resonant system can also affect the linewidth.