Link between energy and matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential connection between the positive and negative attributes of electromagnetic radiation and atoms, as well as the possibility that matter may be composed of electromagnetic radiation. The topic is not fully understood by the speaker and they are seeking further thoughts and clarification. The response clarifies that while matter and energy are linked, protons and electrons do not make up electromagnetic radiation. The conversation ends with a question about where on the spectrum matter may lie if it is composed of electromagnetic radiation.
xiola
My apologies for the lack of understanding of the topic, and it may be a bit from left field, but; Is it possible that the positive and negative attributes of the amplitude of electromagnetic radiation is the same positive and negative attributes of atoms, i.e. protons and electrons. Perhaps the electromagnetic energy can get to higher frequencies than can be currently measured and at that wavelength electromagnetic energy adopts the characteristics of matter.
As I say, my knowledge of the topic is far from complete and I would be interested in any thoughts that may dispel this theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matter and energy are linked by E=mc2, but protons and electrons are nothing to do with light. Up and down quarks (which make up protons) and electrons just happen to have charge, which means they are affected by electromagnetic radiation, but that doesn't mean they make up the radiation itself.

ok, thanks very much for your help.

Again, I thank you for your feedback, but I still have another question.

If E=mc^2 then would it not follow that if energy and matter are linked, that matter must be composed of, at least in part, electromagnetic radiation. And if so, where on the spectrum does it lie?

I appreciate your curiosity and interest in exploring the connection between energy and matter. It is a complex and fascinating topic that has been studied and debated by many scientists over the years.

To answer your question, it is important to understand that energy and matter are not the same, but they are closely related. Matter is made up of tiny particles called atoms, which contain protons, neutrons, and electrons. These particles have mass and take up space, making them tangible and observable. On the other hand, energy is not a physical substance, but rather a property or characteristic of matter. It is defined as the ability to do work or cause change.

Now, to address your theory about the connection between the amplitude of electromagnetic radiation and the positive and negative attributes of atoms, there is some validity to this idea. Electromagnetic radiation, such as light, is made up of waves that have both electric and magnetic components. These waves carry energy and can interact with matter in various ways. When these waves interact with atoms, they can cause the electrons to move, which in turn can affect the overall charge of the atom. This is similar to how protons and electrons interact within an atom, with the protons having a positive charge and the electrons having a negative charge.

However, it is important to note that energy and matter are not interchangeable. While energy can be converted into matter (as seen in nuclear reactions), matter cannot be converted into pure energy. This is due to the law of conservation of mass and energy, which states that the total amount of mass and energy in the universe remains constant.

In regards to your idea about electromagnetic energy adopting the characteristics of matter at higher frequencies, there is currently no evidence to support this. The electromagnetic spectrum is already well understood and measured, and there is no indication that it extends beyond what we currently know. Additionally, the characteristics of matter, such as mass and volume, are not observed in electromagnetic energy.

In conclusion, while there is a connection between energy and matter, they are not the same and cannot be interchanged. The positive and negative attributes of electromagnetic radiation and atoms are related, but they are not identical. I hope this helps clarify the link between energy and matter for you. Keep asking questions and exploring the wonders of science!

What is the link between energy and matter?

The link between energy and matter is that they are essentially two forms of the same thing. Energy can be converted into matter, and matter can also be converted into energy. This is known as the principle of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

How does energy affect matter?

Energy can affect matter in various ways. For example, when energy is added to matter, it can cause the particles in the matter to move faster and increase the temperature. Additionally, energy can also cause matter to change states, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas.

What role does matter play in energy production?

Matter plays a crucial role in energy production. In many processes, matter is converted into energy through nuclear reactions or chemical reactions. For example, in nuclear power plants, the nuclei of atoms are split to release a large amount of energy. In fossil fuel power plants, the burning of matter releases energy in the form of heat.

How does energy and matter relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics describe the relationship between energy and matter. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase. Both laws apply to the interactions between energy and matter.

What are some real-life examples of the link between energy and matter?

There are many real-life examples of the link between energy and matter. Some examples include: the sun's energy (in the form of light and heat) being essential for the growth of plants and the production of food, the conversion of matter (food) into energy in our bodies through metabolism, and the use of energy to power machines and vehicles made of matter.