Link to NASA TV and launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery

In summary: UTF-8&va=space-tourists-returned&n=1&sq=%22space+tourists%22&st=nc&sig=C6Mv9CvA4j_n-ZsL4cjK8cKHiI&ei=UTF-8&va=space-tourists-returned&n=1&sq=%22space+tourists%22&st=nc&sig=C6Mv9CvA4j_n-ZsL4cjK8cKHiI&hl=en
Gnosis
Link to NASA TV and launch of the Space Shuttle "Discovery"...

For those interested, here's a link to NASA TV and launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery somewhere around 7:43 PM EST...

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Discovery's been given the green light to launch. T-minus 3 minutes and counting...

Thanks for the link. Better than CNN.

These launches never cease to inspire.

CNN was 30 sec ahead and all, but the NASA channel doesn't have all the talking heads competing for air time.

LowlyPion said:
Thanks for the link. Better than CNN.

Truly, my pleasure. I've followed the space program from its infancy. All my school reports were about space missions and spacecraft facts.

The coundown has begun: Ten missions left for the shuttle fleet.

Ivan Seeking said:
The coundown has begun: Ten missions left for the shuttle fleet.

Yes, and I find it a very unsettling thought to realize our country will be without any means of orbital transport of humans until at least 2014 when Orion is projected to be ready. With the present state of the economy, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if 2014 turns out to be a somewhat over-zealous projection.

Gnosis said:
Yes, and I find it a very unsettling thought to realize our country will be without any means of orbital transport of humans until at least 2014 when Orion is projected to be ready. With the present state of the economy, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if 2014 turns out to be a somewhat over-zealous projection.

Ah heck, for a million bucks anyone can hitch a ride with the Russians. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
okay, for only twenty million...

Times are tough. Look for a discount at Travelocity. Maybe get William Shattner to broker you a better deal with Priceline?

(Though as a personal preference, I'd recommend against steeply discounted space travel. Especially with the Russian carriers.)

LowlyPion said:
(Though as a personal preference, I'd recommend against steeply discounted space travel. Especially with the Russian carriers.)

I remember some astronaut describing the Russian space station as being like a run-down old school bus.

Ivan Seeking said:
I remember some astronaut describing the Russian space station as being like a run-down old school bus.

Thought you might enjoy this read if you haven't seen it already. Interviews of the 5 space tourists that have gone and (obviously) returned.

http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/21808/?a=f

1. What is NASA TV?

NASA TV is a television network operated by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). It broadcasts educational and informational programming related to space exploration, as well as live coverage of space launches and other events.

2. When will the Space Shuttle Discovery launch?

The launch date for the Space Shuttle Discovery varies depending on the specific mission and any potential delays. It is best to check the NASA website or other reliable sources for the most up-to-date information on the launch date and time.

3. How can I watch the launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery?

You can watch the launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery live on NASA TV or on their website. Many news channels and streaming services also provide coverage of the launch.

4. What is the purpose of the Space Shuttle Discovery mission?

The specific purpose of each Space Shuttle Discovery mission may vary, but overall, the Space Shuttle program was designed to transport astronauts and cargo to and from space. This allowed for the construction and maintenance of the International Space Station, as well as various scientific research and exploration missions.

5. How long will the Space Shuttle Discovery mission last?

The duration of the Space Shuttle Discovery mission can vary, but typically it lasts from 7-14 days. The length of the mission depends on the specific objectives and tasks that need to be completed during the mission.