LinkedIn, what is it good for?

• Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
In summary, Linkedin is a professional networking site with over 67 million users. It allows users to connect with old colleagues and friends and has potential to help land a job. It is a non-intrusive way to maintain a professional network and its CV function is helpful for job applications. However, it is important to follow Linkedin etiquette and not randomly add people for the sake of gaining contacts.
Desiree
With over 67 million users... how does it help you get a job? It seems Linkedin has been designed for professional people only, not just for any Twitter/Facebook type person. I was snooping around the other day:approve: found two old friends whom I didn't know where they are working now and at what position, it was useful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a networking site for professionals. It might be helpful in landing a job. I've been invited several times, and I may have registered, but I never go there.

I think its a nice non-intrusive way for maintaining (awareness of) your professional network and since a good network today is more likely to land you a good job, I'd say that it is worth the effort in that regard. However, don't expect miracles - if you are looking for a job you probably still have to put some effort into it, linked in or not. Their CV function is also nice for getting a quick CV of other people or for getting your own to include in job applications (like if you don't want to send a full resume).

Absolutely nothing. Uhhhn.

It's very good. I use it, and have networked with some good folks. Honestly, it's been priceless.

Please note Linkedin ettiqute. It is NOT Facebook. DO NOT go around randomly adding people to collect contacts, people will not add you, and may even make you look bad to their company in general.

What is LinkedIn and how does it work?

LinkedIn is a social networking platform designed specifically for professionals. It allows individuals to create a profile, connect with other professionals, and showcase their work experience, skills, and accomplishments. It also provides a platform for job searching, networking, and industry insights.

How can I use LinkedIn to advance my career?

LinkedIn can be a powerful tool for career advancement. By creating a strong profile and actively networking with other professionals in your industry, you can increase your visibility and connect with potential employers, colleagues, and mentors. You can also join industry-specific groups and participate in discussions to showcase your expertise and expand your professional network.

Is LinkedIn only useful for job searching?

No, LinkedIn has a variety of features that go beyond job searching. It can be useful for networking, building your personal brand, and staying updated on industry news and trends. You can also use it to showcase your work experience, skills, and accomplishments, which can help attract potential clients, collaborators, or employers.

Do I need a premium account to use LinkedIn effectively?

No, a basic LinkedIn account is enough to access most of the platform's features. However, a premium account can provide additional benefits, such as increased visibility, access to more advanced search filters, and the ability to send direct messages to individuals outside of your network. It may be worth considering a premium account if you are actively job searching or looking to expand your professional network.

Is LinkedIn a safe platform to use?

LinkedIn takes privacy and security seriously and has measures in place to protect user data. However, as with any online platform, it is important to be cautious and aware of who you connect with and the information you share. Make sure to review and adjust your privacy settings, and only connect with individuals you know or who have a legitimate reason to connect with you.