Why am I getting logged out when linking to a post on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user experiencing issues with being logged out when clicking on links to posts within a thread. The issue seems to happen when using the search function on the forum and opening links in new tabs. It is suggested that this could be due to the URL being used without the "www" which may overwrite the cookie and cause the user to be logged out.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've noticed lately that when linking to a post that has been inserted in a thread, it thinks I'm not loged in. You get the log in prompt and the ads.

edit: it doesn't unlog me from the original thread, just the linked post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which post? or forum or member?

Are both post/thread from PF?

Well I did a search of PF to find a post to reference while replying to a thread. When I went to the searched post is where I found it thought I wasn't loged in.

I think that's what I did. I'll try to recreate it.

That's odd. I presume that the search and subsequent link were in new windows?

Okay. Here's what I did. I searched for "wire temperature" in the EE forum and got these results:
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1427719"
Then I went to the "calculating temp rise in copper wire" post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=280251&highlight=wire+temperature"
Then when I went to berkemans first link in his 8th post I got the unlog post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=270177"

I'm using firefox which opens a new tab each time. Maybe that's the problem child.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps its to do with the url. I'm logged in on www.physicsforums.com but when I click on a physicsforums.com link without a www. I get logged out.

Yes. I just clicked on your WWW link and it showed me as logged off.

Thanks Kurdt and Astronuc

Using physicsforums.com without the www, may cause the cookie to be overwritten, which then would cause one to be logged out.

1. What does it mean when it says "linking to post unlogs me"?

When a website or online platform has a feature that allows users to log in and out, "linking to post unlogs me" means that if a user clicks on a link within the platform to share a post or page, they will automatically be logged out of their account.

2. Why does linking to post unlogs me?

This feature is usually in place to protect the user's privacy and security. By automatically logging out after sharing a link, it prevents anyone else from accessing the user's account or personal information.

3. Can I turn off the "linking to post unlogs me" feature?

In most cases, this feature cannot be turned off as it is built into the platform's security settings. However, some platforms may allow users to adjust their privacy settings to disable this feature.

4. Is there a way to avoid being automatically logged out when linking to a post?

One way to avoid being automatically logged out when linking to a post is to copy and paste the post's URL instead of using the platform's share feature. This will allow you to share the post without being logged out.

5. Can linking to post unlogs me affect my account or data in any way?

No, linking to post unlogs me does not affect your account or data in any way. It is simply a security measure to protect your account from being accessed by others. Your account and data will remain secure and intact after being automatically logged out.