Changing 'Alt Text' of Hyperlinks in LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Text
In summary, the conversation was about the possibility of changing the 'alt text' or title text for links when using the hyperref package in LaTeX. The person asked if there was a way to do this and if there was an alternative package available. Another person joined in, curious about whether this feature was supported by PDF format. However, it seems that hyperref does not support customizing the title text and the person who looked into it was unable to find a solution. Overall, it was determined that it may not be possible to change the title text for links in LaTeX.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm using the hyperref package in LaTeX and I was wondering if there's a way to change the 'alt text' (title text) for links. Anyone know? Perhaps there is a different package I could use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer but am curious now. Are you doing this to use with latex2html, or does the pdf format support title text as well?

When I hover over a PDF link I see a title box with the URL. I don't know if this can be customized or not. I hoped that it could be, and that further it could be customized from pdfLaTeX.

Hmm... yeah. I'm not sure it's possible. I looked around for a while and found nothing. hyperref does not seem to support it and it's pretty standard. Sorry I can't help more.

At least now I know not to look further. :tongue2:

Thanks for looking into it.

1. How do I change the 'Alt Text' of hyperlinks in LaTeX?

To change the 'Alt Text' of hyperlinks in LaTeX, you can use the \hyperref command and specify the alt text as the optional argument. For example, \hyperref[link]{Click here} will create a hyperlink with the text "Click here" and the alt text "link".

2. Can I change the 'Alt Text' of hyperlinks for only certain links in my document?

Yes, you can specify the alt text for individual hyperlinks by using the \hyperref command with the optional argument. This will only change the alt text for that specific link, leaving the rest of the hyperlinks with their default alt text.

3. How do I remove the 'Alt Text' of hyperlinks in my LaTeX document?

To remove the alt text of hyperlinks in LaTeX, you can use the \hyperref command without specifying any alt text in the optional argument. This will result in the hyperlink having no alt text, but the link will still be functional.

4. Is it possible to change the 'Alt Text' of hyperlinks in a table of contents?

Yes, you can change the alt text of hyperlinks in a table of contents by using the \hypertarget and \hyperlink commands. First, use \hypertarget to create a target for the link, then use \hyperlink to create the link with the desired alt text. You can also use the \phantomsection command before the \hyperlink command to ensure the link works correctly in the table of contents.

5. Can I change the 'Alt Text' of hyperlinks in a beamer presentation?

Yes, you can change the alt text of hyperlinks in a beamer presentation by using the \hyperlink and \hypertarget commands, similar to changing the alt text in a table of contents. You can also use the \framezoom command to create a zoomed-in version of a specific slide and specify the alt text for the hyperlink to that slide.